1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Norwegian (Bokmål)
  4. >
  5. Å, for å og til å

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/AlsEenPoffertje

Å, for å og til å

Hei! :D Hvordan har dere det?

As you can probably tell from the title, my question is concerning the words used for to.

The first two - å and for å - don't really trip me up. å is pretty straightforward, and for å seems to be more like in order to or for the purpose of, for the most part.

The third one, however, does confuse me a little. I'm not really sure how to differentiate it from å. One speculation I've come up with is that til å is used when a result or certain state is brought about, but this is definitely just a speculation on my part, as I've come across sentences that use til å that that logic doesn't really apply to.

I'd appreciate it if someone could clear up exactly how til å and å are different, and in what cases one would use til å. :)

Takk på forhånd! Farvel!

August 18, 2015

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/otsogutxi

Hi there!

The difference between "å", "til å" and "for å" can be confusing sometimes, but I'll try to explain it as best and as clearly as I can!

Å - is used to link an infinitive verb to the rest of the sentence (if there is no modal verb). I am not entirely sure if this is the only purpose of "å", but it is definitely its main one. An example: "Han liker å lage mat." - "He likes to cook food." The sentence wouldn't make sense if the "å" wasn't there.

For å - This one is a little tricky to explain. It would be used in a sentence which tells you "in order to: you must: ". It might be a bit confusing. An example: "For å skjære ost, man må bruke en osthøvel". In this case it means "In order to cut cheese, one must use a cheese slicer". Does it make sense now?

Til å - This one is used in the future tense. It is one of the three ways to form the future tense. You would use "Kommer til" and attach it to an infinitive verb, such as "å være - to be". "Kommer til" cannot be translated directly, but it is quite close to "going to". Therefore, it used to describe things in the future that are going to happen or things out of your control. An example: "Hun kommer nok ikke til å like gaven" - "She is probably not going to like the gift". Does this maje sense to you?

I hope this helps you:) If you have any more questions just ask me!

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/AlsEenPoffertje

I actually already fully understand å and for å, and I fully agree with how you explained it. ^_^ I can confirm that there are other uses of å, the other one that I know of being to make a gerund. For example, å lage when used as a noun is making, as in "Å lage mat er lett" = "Making food is easy."

til å is the one I don't quite get. I already knew of the use of til å in kommer til å, but I've seen other ways to use til å. Some examples are "Han har grunn til å tro henne," or "Hun fikk meg til å le." As you can see, there are instances where it simply means "to," and it's those instances that I'm not quite sure how to differentiate from a simple å.

Do you have more of an idea now of what I don't understand? Though your post didn't really clear up my issue, I really appreciate the attempt nonetheless. :D

Learn Norwegian (Bokmål) in just 5 minutes a day. For free.
Get started