https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Diaa_ElDessouky

English for Spanish speakers. Only?

I started a class room to teach English for Arabic speakers. I was asked to enter only the target language, English. But I could not find out how to select the source language, Arabic. And I found the default class room was English for Spanish speakers. Would you, kindly, tell me how to change this Spanish into Arabic. Thanks.

August 26, 2015

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/erdnuss

Hi there! Classrooms currently only have a target language, but not a source language. We are usually able to guess the source language from the teacher's interface or from the language the classroom's students are using Duolingo in.

In your example, the process is as follows:

1. Check if we can show you the curriculum for the course "English for English speakers" (taking the target language from the classroom settings and the source language from your interface language).
  2. Since no "English for English speakers" course is found (phew!), determine the most common interface language of the students in the classroom. E.g., if two of your students are learning English from German, but three are learning English from Arabic, we will show you the curriculum for the course "English for Arabic" speakers. Since there are no students in your classroom yet, this step will not give us any new clues. :(
  3. Since we can't make an educated guess as to what your classroom's source language will be, we default to the most common source language for English learners on Duolingo, i.e., Spanish.

If you want to see the curriculum for English for Arabic speakers, there are two options: the first is to switch your interface to Arabic, as @Rattl suggested. This will allow step 1 to make the right decision. The other option is to add a student to your classroom who is using Duolingo in Arabic (allowing step 2 to kick in).

That said, we are taking note of your feedback and we are considering adding an option to the Course Content explorer that allows you to specify the source language in addition to the target language, so you can check out the curriculum of the course before adding students to your classroom.

I hope this helps clarify the issue at least a little bit - let us know if there is anything else we can help with! Duolingo for Schools is evolving every day and your feedback helps us understand what we should be focusing on in the future! :)

August 26, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Rattl

Hmm, you seem to have found an issue with the Dashboard interface that is either broken or may not have been planned for. Since you only designate the "target" language in English it doesn't seem to properly support logging into the Dashboard from two different languages (Arabic and then English in this case) whilst retaining the same course labels.

Have you tried logging back into the the Dashboard with your interface set to Arabic to see if your classroom course label reverts to English for Arabic speakers? I tested it out a bit and as you said, a classroom originally created as English for Arabic speakers -- using the Arabic interface -- will change to English for Spanish speakers if logged into with the English interface.

When I switched my account back to English from Arabic and refreshed the Dashboard, however, it seemed to change back by itself (although I don't speak Arabic, so I am relying on Google Translate to read the headers).

If it doesn't change automatically, you can change the target language manually (by entering the classroom you want to change, clicking "course content" (محتوى المنهج), and then clicking "I teach a different language" (أعلِّمُ لغةً أخرى) in the language header) but you cannot choose English from Arabic if you are logged into the Dashboard in English.

All in all, I hope that switching your account language can be a feasible workaround for you (and I'm very sorry if it isn't, but I can't think of anything else to suggest) or that someone else has a better suggestion for you -- I also hope a staff member will drop in to read your feedback about this problem and see if it is something that can be fixed in the future.

August 26, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/kevin581063

hollo

August 21, 2017
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.