Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/jrikhal

[BUG]Immersion: votes' counter of an article to be translated in several languages

jrikhal

Hi Duolingo,

I uploaded sometimes ago an English article into Immersion to be translated into French and also uploaded it to be translated into Spanish. I was quite surprised/amused that they had (each time I saw them in my upload list) the same number of net votes.

But I just realized (after making a little test by voting one myself) that the counter of vote is common for both EN_to_FR and EN_to_SP versions!

Well at first I was thinking, "it's funny and, at the end, not illogical and even may be better" but --- and that's why I finally think it's a bug/error to to it --- in fact I see reasons to count the votes separately:
- some contents could be found good/positive/funny/... by native speakers of some countries and not by some of another one not or even chocking/... (due cultural difference for example).
- some articles (I think in particular about wikipedia type ones, but not only) could [I keep the languages of my example for clarity] already exist and well developped in Spanish (maybe even the English article could already be an translation/adaptation of the Spanish one) but not in French. In which case it should, IMO, receive downvote for the EN_to_SP translation but could (if no bad for other reasons) receive positive votes for EN_to_FR version.

So I think you should separate the votes with one counter for the combination 'URL_of_the_article (and so language) + language to which it has to be translated'.

4 years ago

0 Comments