1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: French
  4. >
  5. "I am going to return to my r…

"I am going to return to my room, there I can study."

Translation:Je vais retourner dans ma chambre, là-bas je peux étudier.

January 3, 2013



là-bas = over there
là = there

Je vais retourner dans ma chambre, là je peux étudier. - This should be accepted. Also, dans can be replaced by à


Yes, fully agree.


Is there a reason why rentrer can't be used?


I don't see why rentrer can't be used either...


Can't "je vais revenir à ma chambre" be used?


"I am going to come back to my room..."
Not quite the same sentence.


Why not pièce? Chambre is a bedroom, a normal room is la pièce.


The phrase "my room" implies a bedroom.


why can we not say "je peux y etudier"?


can Chez moi be used for a room in a university dorm etc?


I personally would only use it if you were outside of the uni, say at a bar, and telling someone that you were going home (meaning your dorm room) for the night. If you were in the university, or on the grounds, I think I would specifically say "dans ma chambre" as "chez moi" could be interpreted as you're going home (wherever that may be). E.g. Mom and Dad's place, your house in Paris, your apartment in Denmark, etc...
Just my opinion though.


I put "Je vais revenir à ma chambre, je peux y étudier," but it was incorrect. Does it make a difference whether one says "revenir" or "retourner"?


A BIG difference. Revenir is go back to in the sense that one might go back to a town one has lived in or go back to a place. Rentrer means literally to go back into -- so - Je rentre dans ma chambre. Je rentre à la maison (I go home) And of course there is "la rentrée" - the start of the new school year.

Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.