1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: French
  4. >
  5. "C'est un journal d'informati…

"C'est un journal d'information."

Translation:This is a newspaper.

January 4, 2013



To answer the comments about more or less the same thing :

Journal usually means newspapers yes, but when you say "journal d'information"(I don't hear it very often though) or "journal télévisé" (+ maybe some other things I'm forgetting) you're talking about the news on the radio or on TV. "Les informations"/"les infos" is used most of the time.


Unfortunately, it did not accept my translation of "This is an informational newspaper."


It did accept "This is a newspaper of information". Which is ridiculous. WordReference suggests "news, news broadcast, news bulletin", which sounds more like DL's translation of "news program". But I went with the silly literal translation because I wasn't sure if DL would allow any of those.

<Shrug> Now I know.


That was my answer too... =/


This makes more sense to me


"It is an informative newspaper" was accepted


I wrote the ridiculous sentence of "This is a newspaper of news" and it was accepted. I glad to learn of the more understandable meaning.


I think it can also mean the news on tv, or not?


it looks like journal means more than a paper/newspaper... good to know


I don't get it. Why do you need to say 'd'information' if it means ' it is one Journal?'


So is this talking about a television program?


It would seem that le journal can indeed refer to a program. Larousse says that journal parlé = radio news, and journal télévisé = television news. Ils l'ont dit au journal = They said it on the news. http://www.larousse.com/en/dictionaries/french-english/journal/44985 It seems a bit redundant to say journal d'information to say "news program" but it is the French way.


Collins Robert French/English Dictionary defines" journal d'information" as "serious newspaper". In the UK we refer to these types of newspapers as the broadsheets (even though they are not always printed in that format nowadays). Examples are The Times, The Guardian, The Independent. The popular press such as The Sun and The Mirror are called the red tops and employ a form of writing known as tabloid journalism. Perhaps my dictionary is wrong?


Don't forget The Daily Mail lol! What would you call that?


It's commonly called "The Daily Wail". One of my girlfriends is addicted to it and has to have a daily on-line fix - we still love her despite it!


Polly, where does the Financial-Times fit in the hierarchy? I read the weekend edition. It has that distinctive peach (in my eyes) color.


Don't most people just say "journal" for newspaper these days?


Totally agree, "journal d'information" is more or less like saying twice the same thing, like "monter en haut"


Is this incorrect or can journal mean program too?


"It is a newspaper of information" was correct.

Let me know if it is supposed to be correct or I just got lucky?


"It is an informational newspaper: marked wrong, suggesting that "it is an information newspaper" is correct. Information is a noun, informational is an adjectival form.


This is a newsletter scraped through. Very glad of info above, thank you.


If the exercise is "type what you hear" then "c'est un journal d'informations" should also be accepted, as the sound is the same


Google search:

"journal d'information", 1,340,000,000 results;

"journal d'informations", 327,000 results (of which at least some will have been typos)

I'm not fluent, but I'd say "journal d'informations" is at best not much used.


Me neither, but Larousse uses it, just to give one example: "http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/locomotive/47620"


"News bulletin" wasn't accepted - what would that be in French, then?


should be accepted in my view


I used 'news bulletin' (as used in the UK for news on TV) and which was a given translation , but was failed and told i should have put 'news letter'which is a completely different thing. Confused.

Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.