Has anyone found any Ukrainian media (TV shows, movies, music, ect.) that they have found helpful with their learning? I'm trying to really immerse myself before my trip to Ukraine next month, so I would greatly appreciate some suggestions. Thanks!
I can offer you to watch and read
BUT in all these channels sometimes you may hear Russian with Ukrainian.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1eINPmXuw4 (Тіні забутих предків - historical movie about culture and belief of citizens West Ukraine in the 19 century - veri interesting imo, but may be hard for start)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOKCoBvQWpc (old famous Ukrainian songs with Ukr subtutles)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av3FZVui6fQ (Червона рута - just old famous Ukrainian songs)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7U7SRQzHFM (Сватання на Гончарівці - ukrainian classical comedy musical movie)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ8n9Ma42SU (Єнеїда by poetry Іван Котляревський - humorous poem cartoon for adult, but a little boring sometimes imo, however a very good poetry)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCiMkipAv0w (Жив-був пес - famous classical cartoon just for fun) Once Upon a Dog is an acclaimed Soviet cartoon, adapted from a Ukrainian folk tale. The cartoon won the first place at the 1983 International Film Festival in Odense and a special prize at the 1983 festival in Annecy.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gul74YRZo (Як Петрик П'яточкін Слоників Рахував - kid's cartoon in Ukrainian)
I think it is more than enough for beginning :)
Океан Ельзи is a great band! Не твоя війна and Земля are great songs by them.
Thanks, I will definitely check out the BBC link! I love Океан Ельзи, especially Незалежність. Spotify recently added a few more of their albums and they released a new single (Життя починається знов). It's one of my new favorites!
I'm not sure if they're in Ukrainian or Russian but I do know Ukraine makes their own versions of game shows such as Wipeout - named БУМ, Битва українських міст and Brain Wall/Hole in the Wall named Море по коліно. It could be worth it, even if just to get familiar with the language using a tv show you've probably encountered in English at some point - I think there are clips somewhere on Youtube. Also, I believe Алексеев sings mostly in Ukrainian. Speaking of songs, I don't know if you want to go this route, but a lot of Ukraine's Junior Eurovision songs are mostly in Ukrainian... speaking of Eurovision, the Russian 2009 entry can be found in Ukrainian here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v85qMUhHQ4c - which is about the best I can do for music.
So many Ukrainian game shows to watch :D I'll have to check out Ukraine's Got Talent too!