1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: German
  4. >
  5. "Meine Möbel sind aus Schwede…

"Meine Möbel sind aus Schweden."

Translation:My furniture is from Sweden.

October 9, 2015



Er ist aus IKEA!


ES ist aus IKEA! (Oder vielleicht, deine Möbel ist eine Person?)


I was taught on Memrise A1 German that "it" can be er, sie, or es, depending on the gender of what it's referring back to. Is this wrong? Is "it" always "es" 100% of the time?


From what I've gathered, the former is correct, but many people say "es" for many things anyway. Could be wrong, though.


This could be an old way of doing it. I know they simplified German within the last 20 years.


Wouldn't the pronoun agree with the noun? So in this case, I would expect "Sie sind aus IKEA". Is that right?


It'd be: Sie sind von Ikea.

Here, aus hints at the geographic place of origin (e.g. "Sweden"); von at the producer (e.g. "einem großen schwedischen Möbelhaus namens Ikea").


Is Möbel singular or plural though?


Das Möbel - one piece of furniture

Die Möbel - furniture in the general sense

Most of the time it will be used in its plural form.


Nicht seine, sondern meine Möbel ist eine Person! Bitte, hilfst mir...


Es ist von Ikea. (Das Möbel)


'Das Möbel' ist nicht schlecht, die swedische versionen auf 'Das Boot'


Actually mine is from Sweden, and from a store called Mobilia.


Der Schrank ist von Ikea. Er ist von Ikea.


If it is singular so why "sind"


Die Möbel is plural. The English term "furniture" is singular.


In fact, "das Möbel" also exists, to denote a single piece of furniture, but it's rarely used. However, das Möbelstück is a more common alternative.


Would "die Familie" be plural too?


no, die Familie is singular, so it's die Familie kommt aus Schweden


Danke- I've been trying to find out to say "Meine Familie kommt aus Bayern"


Möbel <- plural noun <- sind; Furniture <- uncountable and thus singular noun <- is

It is the difference between Deutsch and English


Coule you also say 'Meine Möbel kommen aus Schweden'? Or is that only used for living things that move on their own accord?


I don't know from the sense point of view, but from grammar PoV, I guess it should be "Meine Möbel kommen aus Schweden"


Thanks for catching that! I meant to say 'kommen'. I'm going to edit it.


If it's ''Meine Möbel sind aus Schweden'' then shouldn't the english translation be 'My furnitures are from Sweden? Isn't ''sind'' a plural form?


Möbel is typically used in the plural, but translates as simply "furniture". It doesn't translate as "furnitures".


"Sind" is a plural form so I use "are" in my answer but duo don't accept, why?


Because it is wrong. This has been answered a couple of times already.

Die Möbel is plural. The English term "furniture" is singular.

So, "Meine Möbel sind" is in English "My furniture is"


I feel like it knows I'm also studying Swedish. Because I think I'm getting more sentences based around Sweden than is probably normal.


So, what is you wanted to say that your furniture is from the Swedish people? ¨Meine Möbel sind aus den Schweden.¨?


So, what is you wanted to say that your furniture is from the Swedish people? ¨Meine Möbel sind aus den Schweden.¨?

Meine Möbel kommen/sind von den Schweden.


"My furniture is Swedish" doesn't work? Am I wrong, or do both mean the same thing?


Not the same thing. The furniture could be Swedish but come from Australia...


The pronunciation sounded like it used the English "w" sound, is this the correct pronunciation?


in German, the 'w' should sound like an English 'v'. If it sounded like an English 'w' then it is incorrect.


How would you say 'Everyone's furniture comes from Sweden?'


That's not so easy. I can't find a very smooth way of phrasing it, while still being somewhat close to the English sentence. You'd usually circumscribe it.
Somewhat clumsy, but close: "Die Möbel von jedermann kommen aus Schweden"
Smoother, but not a literal translation: "Alle Leute kaufen ihre Möbel in Schweden".


my furniture are from sweden meine Möbel plural mein Möbel singular


No. "furniture" is a mass noun in English. It is used as a singular. The German word "Möbel", on the other hand, is countable and therefore is used as a plural.
"my furniture is" = "meine Möbel sind"

The German singular "das Möbel(stück)" would be "the piece of furniture" in English.

Nein. "furniture" ist auf Englisch ein Sammelbegriff, er im Singular verwendet wird. Das deutsche Wort "Möbel" dagegen ist zählbar und wird daher als Plural verwendet.
"the furniture is" = "die Möbel sind"

Der deutsche Singular "das Möbel(stück)" heißt auf Englisch "the piece of furniture".


I'm not a native English speaker. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this translation: Meine Möbel sind aus Schweden. My furnitures are from Sweden.


"Möbel" is used as an ordinary plural in German. The English word "furniture", however, is a singular and used as a mass noun (like "Gemüse" in German). Therefore it is used together with a verb in singular:
"die Möbel sind" - "the furniture is"

A plural "furnitures" does not exist. A single "das Möbel(stück)" is a "piece of furniture" in English.

Btw., it is just the other way round with "Gemüse". This is a mass noun in German and as such a singular, in English we have an ordinary plural:
"das Gemüse ist" - "the vegetables are"


What is "IKEA"?? Please someone explain

Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.