"This is mom, and who is this?"
Translation:Це мама, а це хто?
Please Upvote So Others Can See
Which form of and do I use?
In Ukrainian, there are four words that mean and; і, та, а and й. Three of them; і, та and й are all used to link similar things, the only reason we have so many is so we can switch them around to make the language flow and sound more melodic.
- Мама і тато - Mom and dad
- Та я! - And me!
- Мова й алфавіт - Language and alphabet
It's really up to you when you want to use them :)
But on the other hand, а is used to contrast between two different things. It roughly corresponds to the English whereas.
- Мама там, а тато тут - Mom is there, and/whereas dad is here
- Я працюю а ти танюєш - I work and/whereas you work
- Мене звати Віктор а вас звати Вєра - My name is Victor and/whereas your name is Viera
Don't worry, you don't need to buy anything! Almost any computer or smartphone has the ability to download keyboards for other languages. If you're using a computer, it's a bit of a pain because you can't see the letters on the keys, but if you use the "on-screen keyboard" that almost all computers have in their accessibility functions, you'll be able to see what you're typing.