1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Duolingo
  4. >
  5. Nahuatl basics 1, part 3 (Wor…

Nahuatl basics 1, part 3 (Work, good, fall, sleep, a lot, to be hungry, the)

[deactivated user]

Ximopanolti! Alright so this short lesson here is based off of the esperanto tree's basics 1, part 3. However I have excluded "it" in this lesson because it was covered in a previous lesson. So I will include to be hungry as a substitute along with "the", to fill the void. So lets see them.

Cochi : To sleep

Cualli : Good

Huetzi : To fall

Tequiti : To work

Mayana : To be hungry

Miac : A lot

So those are the new words. A common question is "Can Mayana also be spelled Mallana?". No, never, two l's do not make a "y" sound, just a long L.

So lets talk about "the".

In : The

So this here confuses alot of people, altough it should only help you out because this is why... Nahuatl only has ONE article. No, I don't care if it is singular, plural, or any of that jazz. We just use "in". Back when Spain first came to Mexico, "In" did not mean "the" in classical Nahuatl (and still does not in rare dialects). But today, they use it like we would.

Lets try it with the words we know right?

In cihuatl : The woman

In momachtiani : The student

In ahcihualoyan : The station (bus, train, whatever)

In tlacatl : The man

In piltontli : The boy

You get the idea. Now, "in" is not always included in sentences, in fact it does not often appear in them. I'm going to be honest, it depends on the regional variant and the speaker. Usually people only use it when starting a sentence, or when mentioning something for the first time, or when clarifying something. But we will not worry so much about this for now...

Finally we can make some small phrases. Here, lets try them.

Nehuatl nitlacatl : I'm a man

or

Nitlacatl : I'm a man

Remember, Nehuatl is not usually used when people know you are talking about yourself. This goes with the other ones

Tehuatl ticihuatl : I'm a woman

Ticihuatl: I'm a woman

Alright lets move on to better sentences, we should already know the above.

Nehuatl nicochi : I sleep

Nicochi : I sleep

Nehuatl nihuetzi : I fall

Nihuetzi : I fall

Tehuatl timayana : You are hungry

Timayana : You are hungry

Tehuatl titequiti : You work

Titequiti : You work

Now remember Yehuatl/Yehua does not have a prefix like Nehuatl and Tehuatl.

Yehuatl Mayana : He/She/it is hungry

Mayana : He/She/ it is hungry

This is where you might want to use Yehuatl most of the time, because it is without a prefix.... And you are a begginer so it will be hard to destinguish in texts without it.

Seems easy right? Miac is a bit hard to use, so will go more into that in future lessons, along with adjectives.

Sorry for not posting any of these lately. School has been seriously kicking my butt. I promise I will get you those audio files or just record them myself (if you are okay with my voice). I will clean more of this post up later (look preety). Now for the bonus words!!!!!!!

BONUS WORDS:

This time they are both verbs

Elehuia : To wish

Tlaocoya : To be/feel sad

That's all for now :D

October 9, 2015

9 Comments

[deactivated user]

Someone also requested a table of contents? I will get on that I promise, once there are like one more lesson or so.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/no.name.42

Thank you so much for doing this!

[deactivated user]

Amitla! (Your welcome, we will learn that later)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/no.name.42

How do you say thank you? In Huastecan Nahuatl it is tlazcamati.

[deactivated user]

Kinda the same. For this dialect it is "Tlazohcamati"

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/ArielBisso

You could try to start a Nahuatl course on the Incubator, it would be a wonderful add to Duolingo.

[deactivated user]

Oh If only. I think the biggest problem is that I would most likely be the only contributor, unless I can find more people who speak the same dialect, perhaps even a native speaker. I don't think I could apply because I am not "Fluent" in the language, although I think I could fill out most of the content Duolingo presents to it's users, because I am an advanced speaker, and duolingo does not teach the entiritery of a language.

Thank you for the comment tough, I believe Nahuatl in the incubator would be lovely. But for now I will continue with these courses in disscusion, and mabye rise it's popularity here.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/gingerninja3148

Thanks for posting this! It is very interesting. Nice to know there is only one article. Languages that have multiple ways to say 'the' really confuse me.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/AntonFarmar

How do you conjucate elehuia? Is is "nielehuia" or "nelehuia" or something else?

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.