https://www.duolingo.com/fyanez-ruiz

Can I transfer classes to another teacher?

I set up classes for a long term sub, and now those classes have a regular teacher.

The students are already making progress, and I don't want them to have to start over.

Is it possible to change the owner of the classes to their new (real) teacher?

Thank you...

10/12/2015, 3:44:27 AM

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/erdnuss

Hi there, we are hoping to offer this functionality in the future, but for now, classes can only have one owner. There are a couple of workarounds for this, however, and none of them require your students to start over:

• Scenario A: the new teacher creates classrooms on their account (they can have the same names as the classrooms you created!) and invites the students to join the new classrooms. Students can be in multiple classrooms, so they would be in two classrooms named, e.g., "Spanish 1", one that belongs to you and one that belongs to their new teacher. The students' experience on Duolingo would be exactly the same, and both you and their new teacher would see exactly the same information on your students. The downside to this scenario is that it requires the new teacher to duplicate work that you already did.
  • Scenario B: this depends on how much you use your Duolingo account. If the answer is "exclusively for teaching", I would consider transferring ownership of your account to the new teacher. You can change the username and email address associated with your account here and the full name here here. You can set the password to something you are comfortable sharing with the new teacher, and then ask them to sign in with the new username and password. After that, you should be able to create a new Duolingo account for yourself with the same username and email you currently use.

Scenario B is less work than Scenario A, but in the end it depends on what works better for you and your students' new teacher. Let me know how it goes!

10/12/2015, 6:27:59 PM
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.