No audio in Ubuntu 12.04 using Chromium.

[deactivated user]

Hi! I'm new here... First, I would like to send my congratulations to the creators of Duolingo because it's a wonderful project :) Unfortunately, it seems I'll have to wait a little before using it in a proper way. The reason?, the audio is not working for me (using Ubuntu 12.04 and Chromium)... and it's very sad to receive an "oops, you didn't pass this level" message just because of that reason :( Also, I'm a native spanish speakerlearning german, and I tend to mess up when I type answers (because I mix english and spanish :P ) The audio problem seems to be a bug in Linux :/ and the "native language: spanish" option will come soon, I'm sure of that... I'll keep checking both things, so I can come back and keep learning! It really seems as a very great project, I love the concept! :) Best luck!

January 6, 2013

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Beppe

Maybe you are having a problem with Adobe Flash. I'm using Duo on linux (ubuntu 10.4 and 12.4) and on android and I have no problem provided that I use a browser with good flash support. Until recently, firefox supported flash (loading and activating the adobe plug in). For the future, flash support on linux will be provided only by chrome. I don't knew what is the situation with chromium , but I definitly suggest you to load chrome . I was having a lot of problem using Duo on my android tablet, but with chrome I'm perfectly capable to use Duo (even on the phone ...).

January 6, 2013

https://www.duolingo.com/Beppe

Just to add that I'm Italian and learning German from English: it's a terrific exercise and it is helping me a lot also with English.

January 6, 2013

[deactivated user]

It's not so terrific for me, because it might happen that I know the meaning of a german word, but mispell it in english, and it's consider wrong :/ Or, they ask me to write the meaning of a german word, and I automatically write it in spanish... wrong again. I love learning languages, but I'd like to use my mothertongue while doing it (I can see your point though, and it can help, but it's just not the most comfortable option to me). Thx again!

January 6, 2013

[deactivated user]

I will try that (Chrome) then! Thx for answering! Although, the audio works perfectly fine in every other website... my only 2 problems are here and with the Angry Birds app :P

January 6, 2013

[deactivated user]

You were right! I downloaded Chrome, and the audio is working just fine! Thx for the advice :)

January 7, 2013
          Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.