Hallo! Please help!
Could someone please help me with the different words for "thanks" in Dutch? There's like 5 and I don't know when to use each one!
Dank/bedanke/dank ye vel
Alvast bedankt! (Thanks for telling me about this!)
- Bedankt! - Normal form of thank you, can be used anywhere.
- Heel erg bedankt! - Thank you so much!
- Dank je/Dank u! - Normal form of thank you, can be used anywhere.
- Dank je wel/Dank u wel! - Same as the above, except it means 'thank you kindly'.
- Thanks! - Very informal, used between friends. Most young people will use 'thanks'.
There is another, which is pretty much only used at the end of very formal letters:
- Bij voorbaat dank - Thanks in advance.
There is no particular difference in when to use which one. They are just slightly different in grammatical sense: "Dankjewel/dank je wel" is "thank you" "Dank" is either a verb in the first person (Ik dank je = I thank you), or a noun meaning something like "gratitude" "Bedanke": you could mean "Bedankt" which is just a short form of Dankjewel, something like "Thanks", or you could mean the verb "Bedanken" meaning "To thank"
Does this make sense to you?