Hallo! Please help!
Could someone please help me with the different words for "thanks" in Dutch? There's like 5 and I don't know when to use each one!
Dank/bedanke/dank ye vel
Alvast bedankt! (Thanks for telling me about this!)
- Bedankt! - Normal form of thank you, can be used anywhere.
- Heel erg bedankt! - Thank you so much!
- Dank je/Dank u! - Normal form of thank you, can be used anywhere.
- Dank je wel/Dank u wel! - Same as the above, except it means 'thank you kindly'.
- Thanks! - Very informal, used between friends. Most young people will use 'thanks'.
There is another, which is pretty much only used at the end of very formal letters:
- Bij voorbaat dank - Thanks in advance.
I forgot to add:
- Alvast bedankt!
This also means "thanks in advance" but is a bit more informal. It would probably work best in cases such as this topic, when you're asking people for something, but you're not addressing the president or the Queen. :)
There is no particular difference in when to use which one. They are just slightly different in grammatical sense: "Dankjewel/dank je wel" is "thank you" "Dank" is either a verb in the first person (Ik dank je = I thank you), or a noun meaning something like "gratitude" "Bedanke": you could mean "Bedankt" which is just a short form of Dankjewel, something like "Thanks", or you could mean the verb "Bedanken" meaning "To thank"
Does this make sense to you?
So, It's like how in English we could say thanks or thank you or I'm grateful and it doesn't make a difference? Thanks for helping! :)