Anonn, Anall, and Sall

[deactivated user]

Okay, so if I'm understanding this correctly:

Anonn: to the other side; thither

Anall: from the far side; hither

anonn agus anall = to and fro; towards the speaker, and from the speaker.

But then there's sall: to the far side; over

Is there's a distinct difference between the use of anonn and sall, or can they be used interchangeably?

If there is a difference between these two words and how they're used, then is there also another word, in relation to sall, which is its opposite - something like "from the far(thest) side"?

Maybe it's in the lesson but I haven't come across it yet...

3 years ago

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/AnLonDubhBeag

Historically there was a difference.

-onn, referred to a location near you

-all, a distant location.

So: Anonn = from a location near you

Sall = to a distant location

So "Sall" was used for "going there", where as "Anonn" was used for "leaving here".

There was also Sonn, to go to nearby location. From Classical Irish (1600s):

Chuaigh an dream sonn chugham = The crowd went toward me.

Sonn also had the secondary meaning of being stationary at a nearby location:

Bhíos im' sheasamh sonn = I stood still nearby.

"Sonn" has since died out. Which left "Anonn" a linguistic isolate that merged in meaning with "Sall".

Certain dialects use either one or the other today. For instance in Munster Irish, Sall is rarely said.

3 years ago

[deactivated user]

Very interesting historical information; thank you!

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/scilling

To my knowledge, anonn and sall are interchangeable, but a given dialect might use one more frequently than the other.

3 years ago

[deactivated user]

That makes sense. Thank you.

(thinking aloud here...) I wonder, too, if the choice of which to use is at all relative to distance: perhaps sall for longer distances, andanonn for shorter distances; i.e. to the far side of the country, versus to the far side of the field, respectively.

3 years ago
        Learn Irish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.