Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/RafaRiff

What is Jopará?

RafaRiff

Jopara, in Guarani, means "mix". Some says it is a mix; some, that it is Guarani with some Spanish loan words. My concern is that, instead of helping spread the language, this course could hinder Guarani's development as an important language.

The page on Guarani for Spanish speakers course says "Jopará is a spoken form of the Guarani language which, along with Spanish, is one of the official languages of Paraguay". In fact, the official language of Paraguay, along with Spanish, is Guarani, but not in Jopara form.

Loan words are norm in languages, even when it means something else in the other language. "Outdoor", for example, means "billboard" in Portuguese, and "Handy", "mobile phone" in German. This is very different from using words from a language in other language's structure or grammar.

I am highly excited with the course, eagerly waiting for it to be ready. But I am not interested in pidgins or creoles. I am OK with learning American English or Mexican Spanish, but I really do not want to spend my time with a Spanglish course.

Where does Jopara fits in this scale?

How different is Jopara from Guarani? Will I be able to understand other variants or dialects?

Thank you!

2 years ago

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/sigmacharding
sigmacharding

Estoy de accuerdo contigo- a mí no me gustaría aprender una mezclada.

Espero que con el interés y pasión que tienen los colabadores- vayan a crear un curo de Guarani en su forma adecuada y no un 'pidgin' o 'criollo'.

Les pido (como un irlandés) que preserven la identidad de la lengua.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/RafaRiff
RafaRiff

Gracias por tu comprensión. No estoy seguro que el Jopara sea realmente un 'pidgin" o un "criollo", por eso le pregunto a la comunidad. Pero, caso sea, estamos juntos solicitando que hagan un curso que, como bien dijiste, preserve la identidad de la lengua.

¡Saludos!

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/edu500ac

When a civilization enters in contact with another, its members have two options for creating new words. One method is loan words. English and Japanese have chosen this method. In English, for instance, there are a lot of words from French, Greek, Latin, etc. Japanese has many loan words from Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch and English. In Chinese, words are built from smaller parts that in written form are represented by ideograms. It is very difficult for a Chinese to incorporate a Latin or Greek word in his/her vocabulary. Therefore, a Chinese native speaker try to recriate Greek and Latin scientific words from resources from his/her language. Guarani and Jopara are basically the same language. When Guarani needs a new word for expressing an European concept, it forms the word using resources from its aggrutinative/incorporative Grammar. Therefore, Guarani behaves like Chinese or German. Jopara uses loan words, like English. This is basically the only difference between the two languages. It is a good ideia to start your study with Jopara, and get rid of loan words with the help of a dictionary. In Paraguay, if you speak Guaraniete (pure Guarani, without loan words), you are treated with respect and deference. Besides this, Guarani has a very beautiful literature, with poems that great composers used to write beautiful songs. You can use these poems to learn new words, and eliminate the loan words from your Jopara. There are tutorials that use these poems for teaching Guarani. A great poet, both in Guarani and in Spanish, is Ortiz Guerrero. You can start with his poems. A short list: Panambi Vera, Nde Rendape Aju (José Asunción Flores/Ortiz Guerrero), Paraguaýpe, Lejanía (Herminio Giménez), Regalo de Amor (Mauricio Cardozo Ocampo), Che Sy mi porã (Mauricio Cardozo Ocampo), etc. A few of these songs have verses in Spanish and in Guarani. José Asunción Flores, Herminio Giménez and Mauricio Cardozo Ocampo are musicians with solid classical formation. Paraguay is the only country where classical musicians became popular. You will find interpretations of these three musicians by great operatic singers, by Brazilian country singers, popular singers in Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina. Only Paraguayan artists are admired and interpreted by everybody. Since we are speaking about music, when you go to Asunción to practice your Guarani, try to see an appresentation of the Recycled Orchestra of Cateura. Kids build instruments from material they find in a garbage and thrash deposit near Asunción, and play beautiful classical music (Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, etc.).

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/domi.lontano
domi.lontano

Guaraní is beautiful and nuanced, and I am really glad to find online resources and discussions about this vibrant, important language.

Jopará isn't a single "language", but a "mesolect"- a mixed lexicon between Spanish and Guaraní. The relative balance between the two depends entirely on your community, and where it is located.

Guaraní is a healthy, living part of Paraguay, and so many Paraguayans are proud of their language and culture. Jopará is part of that heritage.

10 months ago