Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/Zylbath

Using Russian Keyboard on Windows 10: Both Screen Keyboard and External Keyboard

Zylbath

Hello, for those who are doing to Russian course, that is finally out (Thanks to all the people making that possible, I was really looking forward to that.):

If you are having the same problem like me with Windows 10 and you are having a non-cyrillic (external) keyboard, it is hard to type in the answers in Russian. But using the screen keyboard in Russian and hitting the letter by mouse is also very annoying and sloooow.

But here is a guide on how you can activate the Russian keyboard AND have it displayed on the screen at the same time you are typing with your external keyboard, so you know which non-cyrillic key is what cyrillic letter. (At least somehow, it takes some practice.)

1. Install the Russian keyboard: Click on the language icon on your right task bar next to the time and date and go to the language options. There you can add Russian as a language.

2. You can now click on the keyboard icon next to the language and time/date icons on your taskbar. When the screen keyboard is shown you can switch languages by pressing the right bottom key or hitting alt + space, or alt + shift. You can then click with the mouse on the keys to type.

3. The problem is: When you want to write faster and type on your external keyboard (which probably doesn't have cyrillic letters on it) the cyrillic screen keyboard disappears and you can't see which letters would be which key on your external keyboard. To solve that click on the Windows Button > Options > Easy Access > Keyboard > Switch on the screen keyboard. (Sorry, my operating system is in German, I hope I named the steps right, correct me if not.) Now the keyboard will be shown the whole time even when you type via your external keyboard. You can still switch the languages by alt + space or alt + shift. Then you can see the layout of the Russian keyboard on screen and learn meanwhile to type with your external keyboard or occasionally click on the letters.

I hope this'll make it easier for you to use the awesome Russian course and learn the Russian keyboard even you have a non-cyrillic external one.

Greetings and have fun, Kevin

PS: I'm pretty sure, that this applies in the same way to the Ukrainian keyboard and course.

PPS: It comes in also pretty handy when you right-click on the task bar icon of the opened on-screen keyboard and make it stick to the task bar. So even when you minimise or close it, you can access it by one click.

2 years ago

11 Comments