"Where is my borsch?"
Translation:Где мой борщ?
мои and мой are different forms of the word (and sound quite differently).
It is like marking "I meet her yesterday" or "What is yours suggestion?" as a typo when a foreign learner writes such a sentence. Maybe a typo, maybe not. Duolingo generally does not let "typos" to turn one word into a different word that exists in the language.
How do I know whether to use Моя or Мой? I think they're for different genders and it would be spelled differently depending on how it is said, but does the soup have a gender? Is one of them the gender neutral term? And how am I meant to infer the soup's gender without being able to hear the sentence?
Mostly it's the endings. Words for humans of a certain sex (mom, dad, man, woman, Peter, Jennifer, aunt etc.) match their grammatical gender to the biological sex of the person.
For the rest of them it is about as follows (with some exceptions):
- masculine nouns end in a consonant: стол, человек, ключ, борщ
- neuter nouns typically end in -о/-е/-ё : молоко, окно, море, дерево
- feminine nouns typically end in -а/-я : вода, химия, башня, клавиатура
- nouns that end in -ь can be masculine or feminine: панель (f), контроль (m), гвоздь (m), день (m), лень (f), учитель (m), сеть(f), мышь (f), лошадь (f), конь (m).
- however, -чь, -жь, -шь, -щь only for feminine nouns: ночь (f) / луч (m)
- loanwords can have something else (e.g., кенгуру). Use common sense and check the dictionary.
You can just redo the lessons in the beginning and see if that works. You likely still have at least some skill and vocabulary (at least, a few different words that do not resemble each other).
If that is not enough, you can go to your Settings → Learning language → Reset or remove languages. You WILL NOT BE ABLE to undo this, so think again if you want to restart.
You need to go into your keyboard settings, (usually by pressing the gear icon inside if your keyboard), and then add Russian from the list of available languages. That's how I added Russian to my keyboard. Now I can type all of the correct answers.
Like "Дом", and Радио", or "Метро".
There are some phones, or tablets, that might also show the name of the language in the spacebar. To use that method you'd have to hold it down for a few seconds to choose your language.