Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/AasinPena

Better way to move up the translation ladder?

Hello there. I was wondering if there was any talk of changing the translation tier? It seems the only way to get positive votes is do the recent translations that have been posted. Once they aren't on the front page though they seem to be forgotten. For example, I've translated a lot from the Fidel Castro page but since it is no longer new a lot of my translations are left unchecked. This is a little frustrating because I'd like to move up the translation scale. Surely there is a better method then what we currently are using?

Thank you.

2 years ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/writchie4
writchie4

This isn't really an "offical" solution (ie: it's not something the site is changing), but you might want to check out the translation group Mar Plateado. It's a group of people that work together to translate and review each other's documents, basically to avoid the problem you've described.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/b05aplmun.ca
b05aplmun.ca

I'm a member of Mar Plateado. Our approach is to tackle documents as whole units. Everyone contributes articles to be checked and also spends time checking other people's articles.

The norms around checking are fairly relaxed, so you shouldn't expect every sentence of your articles to be checked by every group member, but, over time, you can reasonably expect a better rate of checked sentences (especially for the middle and end of long texts) than you would get by just leaving the article in Immersion.

That said, we're serious about translating. I sometimes see complaints in discussion about people who work cooperatively. It seems that the people complaining assume that any cooperative project consists of instantaneous, pro forma checking off of each other's work, without regard to the quality.

We don't work like that. While I think that, overall, we're fairly generous about up-voting, you can expect that participants will suggest corrections to many of the sentences they check. You can also expect checking to be rather slow, in part because good checking takes time.

The rate at which work is checked also ebbs and flows with the number and degree of engagement of active members. Right now, we seem to be at a bit of an ebb. That said, I'm certainly still working away at it and there are several other members who are at least checking in occasionally. My approach is to go down the list of active articles in turn, working my way completely through each one, so if you want to add an article, I will get to it, albeit not immediately.

If you decide you do want to participate, leave a note at the bottom of the comments at the link writchie4 has kindly put in her comment above. When you have an article ready to post (the bottom-line standard is that it has no blue left in it), you should note that in the comments as well. (Don't expect that it will be added right away; the person who maintains the list makes additions and changes about once a week or so.)

For what it's worth, the articles we work on include a range of cultural, historical, and scientific topics, so yours would fit right in.

If you think Mar Plateado is not a good match for what you want, but you're interested in some sort of co-operative approach, see if you can connect up with another person or an informal friendship group to work with. Alternatively, you can ask someone at a higher tier level whose work you respect to check your work.

2 years ago