1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Swedish
  4. >
  5. "Jag vill inte leva utan min …

"Jag vill inte leva utan min osthyvel."

Translation:I do not want to live without my cheese slicer.

November 7, 2015



Nu har jag hört allting


Fun fact: my mom wants to be buried with a spatula (dough-scraper) in her hands.


of all the words that one could learn at this level, was that really a good option?


It is if you love cheese as much as i do. :-) Maybe it's because two of my grandparents and great grandmother was from Sweden and a grandfather father was from Denmark. :-)


My girlfriend managed to go 3 days without hers, once. First trip to the US. She was more or less okay substituting Greek yogurt and kefir for fil, but Iike many Swedes, she needed to hyvlar ost många gånger om dagen, ofta. And she couldn't stand my roller and wire type slicer. So I had to go hyvel hunting. Hooray for Bed Bath & Beyond.
Fil (or 'filmjölk'), btw, is to dairy products what surströmming is to actual food. Why they bother stamping expiration dates on these things is a mystery of the Universe.


I agree with you COMPLETELY about filmjölk, despite being a native Swede. Well, half native Swede. Maybe it's the other half that's having issues.


Lol! I thought it was ok when I tried it in Sweden. I think of it as drinkable yogurt. My husband, however, was instantly in love with it and still wishes he had some. And he is only 1/4 Swedish while I'm half.


Vad är en osthyvel i engelska?


We call it a "cheese knife." (DuoLingo likes the term "cheese slicer," but nobody says that where I live in the U.S.)
And before someone schools me, we know that it's not shaped like a table knife. We know what a cheese knife looks like, and yes the term can also be applied to a dull little knife that we use to serve and spread soft cheese, but we usually call that a "spreader."


No, no. A cheese knife and a cheese slicer are two different things. The former is an ostkniv in Swedish.


Oh, I know they are different, it's just that we don't care which one we are talking about, I guess.
We have the Swedish kind, and then we have this thing that looks like a metal slingshot with a wire across it (never saw the appeal of that one), and we have ordinary knives if you want to cut a thick piece or a chunk.
So what is an ostkniv? I think you're going to tell me it is equally special and you can't live without that either, lol.


I won't doubt your own native language but what you're describing is not standard English. There are many kinds of cheese knives and none of them are cheese slicers - at least if you ask people who are into cheese. :)


Hehe, I once tried to buy a girolle in a Swedish cheese store and the owner told me he'd kept one in the shop for ten years but eventually removed it because people don't use them in Sweden. I was apparently the first to ask in fifteen years.


Lol about the girolle! Those things look like someone is planning on eating a LOT of cheese, so much that an industrial machine is needed to save time and effort. ;)


Osthyvel. I have one of those. Blade with a spatula that holds the cheese after you cut it. Very nice. We call it a cheese knife.

Ostkniv. I don't have one but lots of people here do. Knife with prongs to pick up the cheese after you cut it. We call that a cheese knife.

Ostkniv. A knife with a wide blade that you can use to serve a piece of cheese after you cut it. We call that a cheese knife.

I did a little checking around and discovered that that is just the tip of the iceberg!

MY GOODNESS you Swedes have a wide variety of osthyvlar! And even more kinds of ostknivar! Every shape and size and design. And then you have a whole variety of cheese-cutting contraptions....a wire with metal handles, a thing you clamp to the table, rollers and spikes and wires and blades....and a "Danish cheese knife" that looks like a weird pen and doesn't appear to be capable of cutting anything. Wow! I had no idea!


Do I dare tell you that I usually use a table knife or a pocket knife to cut cheese? And that is a rare occasion as I usually buy my cheese already sliced or shredded. I think I'm going to be scolded - especially for the pocket knife, lol.


The "metal slingshot" with a wire is different from an osthyvel. The latter is closer to a plane that is used to shave thin layers of wood, but for cheese. It works best on harder cheese. Difficult kinds of cheese need different tools to cut, grate, spread, or ? it.


It's often called a cheese plane by foodies (yep, in the US). I would never all osthyvel a cheese knife since it bears no resemblance to a knife.


True, it is a different shape from a knife, but it does have a blade and it cuts cheese, so I will continue to call it a cheese knife. I hardly ever need to use mine, so that's probably one reason I don't really care what I call it. But thanks for the info. Now I'll know what the occasional foodie is talking about if it ever comes up. ;)


Also, a great word that's used in Swedish is hyvla...you'll notice the verb created from this noun. Usually used when you're talking about planing or smoothing down a piece of wood, like when refinishing furniture.


A cheese cutter. In England anyway

Learn Swedish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.