"Вопрос интересный, но я не знаю ответа."

Translation:The question is interesting but I do not know the answer.

November 11, 2015

9 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/keaaww

Why here "ответа," in genitive singular form? Is it a special case of negation of знать? Wouldn't the positive form be Я знаю ответ?

November 11, 2015

[deactivated user]

When the noun is negated, you can put the object in either the Genitive or the Accusative case, both work. «Я не зна́ю отве́т» is also possible.

> Wouldn't the positive form be Я знаю ответ?

Yes, you’re absolutely right!

November 11, 2015

Is this true for any verb or just for знать? Can I write both "Я не люблю девушку" and "Я не люблю девушки"?

November 11, 2015

[deactivated user]

Hm, now that you've mentioned it, «Я не люблю́ де́вушки» would sound really strange!

I had to google the rules and found this: http://new.gramota.ru/spravka/letters/22-spravka/letters/67-otr

Please wait, I'll translate it shortly.

November 11, 2015

AAAahhh! If Russian learning cases wasn't already enough to make one's head explode, that page will certainly do the trick!

November 11, 2015

[deactivated user]

If Russian learning cases wasn't already enough to make one's head explode, that page will certainly do the trick!

Please note that this page is as definitive as it can be. It’s purpose is to cover as many cases as possible. It’s aimed at native speakers having doubts, not at learners. So if don't get this, it’s normal. But if you do, you’re very cool.

Anyway, Genitive is not used for девушка because it's an animate noun.

Please wait, I'll translate it shortly.

OK, here it is:

When Genitive is needed?

• In a combination with the verb не име́ть 'not to have': не име́ет пра́ва 'has no right', значе́ния 'no sense', смы́сла 'no meaning', наме́рения 'no intent', поня́тия 'no idea (of)', влия́ния 'influence'; не име́ет до́ма 'doesn't have a house', де́нег 'money', маши́ны 'car', бра́та 'brother', дру́га 'friend', све́дений 'information'.
        • When there’s a word никакой (no), ничей (no one's), ни один (not a single): не взял на себя́ никако́й отве́тственности 'took no responsibility', не потеря́л ни одного́ гра́мма 'didn't lose a single gram', не прочита́л ни одно́й статьи́ 'didn't read a single article.
        • With the verbs of perception or thought: не по́нял вопро́са 'didn't understand the question', не знал уро́ка 'didn't know the lesson', не чу́вствовал бо́ли 'felt no pain', не заме́тил оши́бки 'didn't notice the mistake', не ви́дел доро́жного зна́ка 'didn't see the road sign'.
        • If the noun has an abstract meaning: не теря́ет вре́мени 'loses no time', не испы́тывает жела́ния 'feels no desire', не скрыва́ет ра́дости 'doesn't hide her joy_.
        • If a pronoun is used as a dependent word: не допущу́ э́того 'I won't allow it'; не де́лайте того́ 'don't do that'.
        • If before a verb or directly before the noun or adjective there’re emphasising particles и 'even', да́же 'even': Отправля́лись за поку́пками втроём, но Лю́бе и сло́ва сказа́ть не удава́лось, старики́ са́ми всё выбира́ли 'Three of them went shopping, but Lyuba couldn't even say a word, the old people choose everything themselves' (Кетл.); Ру́ки дрожа́т и не де́ржат да́же пло́шки с лека́рством — не удержа́ть им и кни́ги 'My hands shake and don’t even keep a saucer with medicine — they can't even keep a book' (Сарт.); На тротуа́рах те́сно, но никто́ вас не толкнёт, никто́ ни с кем не ссо́рится, не услы́шишь да́же гро́мкого сло́ва 'It's cramped on the pavements, but no one will give you a push, no one quarrels with anyone, you won’t even hear a loud word' (газ.)
        • When there is a repeating conjunction ни... ни 'neither... nor': не чита́ет ни кни́г, ни газе́т 'reads neither books nor newspapers'.
        • In some set expressions: не игра́ет ро́ли 'plays no role', не произво́дит впечатле́ния 'makes no impression', не обраща́ет внима́ния 'pays no attention', не уделя́ет внима́ния 'gives no attention', не прино́сит уще́рба 'does no harm', не придаёт значе́ния 'gives no meaning (=considers meaningless)', не вызыва́ет сомне́ния 'raises no doubt', не принима́ет уча́стия 'take no part', etc. Also: не говоря́ (не сказа́в) худо́го сло́ва 'without saying a single bad word'; не своди́ть глаз с кого́/че́го-либо 'not to take one's eyes off someone/something'; не находи́ть себе́ ме́ста 'to find no place for oneself'; пле́тью о́буха не перешибёшь 'you can't head of an axe with a lash (=you cannon chop wood with a penknife)'.

When Accusative is needed?

• If the negation is placed not before the verb, but before a different word: не оч́ень люблю́ стихи́ 'I don't like poetry much' (before очень 'much'), не всегда́ чита́ет кни́ги 'not always read books_, не вполне́ усво́ил предме́т 'haven't understood the subject fully' (); (cf.: люблю́ стихи́, но не о́чень; чита́ет кни́ги, но не всегда́; усво́ил предме́т, но не вполне́).
        • If the verb requires one more dependent noun or adjective apart from this noun: он не счита́ет кни́гу инте́ресной 'he doesn't consider this book interesting'; не прочита́л статью́ за ве́чер 'didn't read the article during the evening'; не обеспе́чили регио́н электроэне́ргией 'didn't provide the region with electricity'; Ра́зве вы не счита́ете э́ту пра́ктику поле́зной? 'Don't you consider this practice useful?'
        • If the noun depends on the infinitive, separated from the verb by another infinitive: он не хо́чет начина́ть писа́ть мемуа́ры 'he doesn't won't to start to write memoirs' (cf. он не хо́чет писа́ть мемуа́ров and мемуа́ры 'he doesn't want to write memoirs', both cases are possible).
        • When the sentence has nouns that show the definiteness of the object: Эту пе́сню не заду́шишь, не убьёшь 'You can't stifle, can’t kill this song'; он не реши́л э́ту зада́чу 'he didn't solve this task' (cf.: он не реша́л зада́ч 'he didn't solve tasks', with Genitive); Росто́в, не жела́я навя́зывать своё знако́мство, не пошёл в дом 'Unwilling to impose getting acquainted with him, Rostov didn't go to the house' (Л. Толст.).
        • When there’s a subordinate clause with the word который after the noun: Он не прочита́л кни́гу, кото́рую я ему́ дал. 'He didn't read the book that I've given to him.'
        • When the animate noun or personal noun is used: Со вре́мени моего́ конду́кторства я не люблю́ Лесну́ю у́лицу 'Since I've been a conductor, I don't love Lesnaya street' (Пауст.); Но Суро́вцев уже́ понима́л, что уйти́, не повида́в Ве́ру, не в си́лах 'But Surovtsev already understood that it’s too much for him to leave without seeing Vera' (Чак.).
        • If the negation is a part of the particles едва не, чуть не, чуть-чуть не 'hardly, barely, almost': Едва́ не урони́л стака́н 'Barely dropped the glass'; Чуть не пропусти́л трамва́й 'Almost missed the train'; Чу́ть было не потеря́л биле́т 'Almost lost my ticket'.
        • In sentences that cannot be made positive by removing a negation: Не́кому показа́ть рабо́ту 'There's no one to show the work to'; не́где опубликова́ть статью́ 'there's nowhere to publish the article'.
        • In some set expressions: Не моро́чь мне го́лову 'don't fool me'; Не скаль зу́бы 'don't bare your teeth'.

In all the other cases nouns in the described constuctions can usually be used both in Nominative and in Genitive case forms.

Upd.: fixed the mistake noticed my @Zeitschleifer.

November 11, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/Jeffrey855877

I didn't read the translation once I saw the Russian italics. I really wish people would not use them, because it's hard enough learning to read Cyrillic.

January 2, 2019

https://www.duolingo.com/Zeitschleifer

@szeraja_zhaba

I haven't read through the whole translation but please correct this one:

" не испы́тывает жела́ния 'feels to desire' "

The Russian statement is negative. "Has no desire"

September 10, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/Jeffrey855877

Duo accepted "An interesting question, but I do not know the answer"

After seeing the "correct" answer, I think my answer may be wrong. "Интересный вопрос" would be "An interesting question", although I guess you can put the adjective after the noun in Russian in this particular case, and have a choice of translation into English.

January 2, 2019
        Learn Russian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.