1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Russian
  4. >
  5. "Дима много учится потому, чт…

"Дима много учится потому, что хочет поступить в университет."

Translation:Dima studies a lot because he wants to get into university.

November 20, 2015



Is that comma really correct?


I think the comma is correct but it should not be heard when you speak


which is why I find it strange. I've heard it pronounced together in other exercises in duolingo (and from my friends)... like потомучто, but with the comma here, it's pronounce distinctly as two words.


That comma is correct and is actually extremely necessary in writing to seperate clauses (because of the case system in russian the commas in writing are a lot more strict.) BUT the voice is kind of...off, in conversation the comma is not pronounced, so like everyone else said it usually sounds like one word.


Isn't it supposed to be before потому?


There's always a comma before "что" when it means "that".


But here что does not mean "that".


Yes, the conjunction "потому, что" indeed takes a comma and separates two propositions.


Where can I see this rule? There is no comma in other sentences like this: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/11533983


"Into college" is what we would generally say in the U.S., and while I understand that "into university" is standard British usage, this is not used in the U.S. If we speak of university in this context we always use an indefinite pronoun, as in, "he wants to get into a university."


Also, university means that there is a graduate as well as an undergraduate program.


While this is true, college and university are two different things in Russia. It's kind of like the difference between community college and a four year school or a vocational school and a college or university. We use college and university interchangeably but they definitely don't. You also can't use "school" as a general term for all of them. Schools are for children not adults. Gymnasium is also another one that's confusing. The school system there is totally different. It can be kind of confusing to find the right terms that make sense to both parties in a conversation.


College and university may be different in Russia (same here in Britain), but what Russians call университет Americans would certainly call college as well as university. I'd say college should be accepted.


Yes. My comment referred to the translation into American English. To get 'into university' sounds stilted (British) to an American and has the marked connotation of graduate rather than undergraduate studies. While what you detail above is certainly true, not accepting "he wants to get into college" as a translation into English exhibits confusion on the Russian, and not the English-speaking side of the equation. :)


I see your point. I teach English overseas. Everywhere I've gone students find this college/university thing confusing. So, I just say "university", but always explain that other people will say "college" and that's totally normal and acceptable.


Duolingo is supposedly American English, but it seems that continental European English is favored on this site. For example, faculty refers to the teaching staff at a university in the US, but interestingly this false friend has crept into the vocabulary of many Europeans. To me, it is like an emerging international dialect of English. Anyways, I would stick to the rule of thumb that university is 4-years and college is 2-years.


What rule of thumb? Can you cite where that is the rule of thumb somewhere? Everyone who is a native of the U.S. talks about getting into or going to college, whether they mean a 2 or a 4-year college. University, as noted above, in the U.S. only refers to a college that also has graduate (post-BA or BS or AB) program. Name me a U.S. university with no graduate program. Just sayin'.


In Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland and pretty much anywhere else that speaks English, universities are institutions that award degrees while colleges prepare students to earn a degree (and colleges are typically 2-years in length, and universities are 4-years).


In the US, at least, two year colleges do award degrees. It's called an Associate's degree. It is true that a junior college does prepare one fie for a transfer to a four year college. It is often used to save money for the first two years of college and not be saddled with as much debt that a student typically builds up to finance their education. And not all four year schools call themselves a university. I know of many that just call itself a college.


Dima is a guy?! I've been learning Russian on duolingo for over a year and thought Dima was a girl's name. I guess i shouldn't be assuming lol


It's a cute version of Dmitry. That's something Russian can do with masculine names (Vanya is another for Ivan).


All this time I thought dima was a girl


Just because i missed one word "в"


Would "enroll" be better then "get into"...


Can we also translate as "studies hard" it is more idiomatic. Would the Russian be the same?


Shouldn't it be in the prepositional case and "университет" should be "унивепситете"?


Hi curtkobain - I was just about to write with the same question - like you, I thought this should be prepositional case after "B". Is there a Russian speaker out there who can explain? Thanks!


I am not a native Russian speaker. But Russian is my fourth foreign language, so I have some kind of experience. Perhaps it might help you. People in different languages have a different mental structure. In this case for example they see in the action of "поступить" a movement, because somehow they consider the action like to move from outside into the university. In my opinion it is that why acussative is applied here. These things simply have to be learned by heart. The same happens from language to language with dative and accusative, refering to direct object or indirect object. It is simply thought in a different way in different languages. For example in English, Russian and German the verb "love" needs accusative - direct object. In Spanish it is dative - literally "I love to you". (te amo a ti.) Different thinking! To love is there something you do FOR somebody an action directed to somebody. So it is indirect object. And so on. I hope it helps.


Thanks ULRICHSCHL4 for this explanation - that is helpful.


Would is be wrong to use "он" in the second part of the sentence ???



Is there anything in this sentence (in Russian) that indicates gender? I mean is it up to the listener to determine Dima's gender?


Yes to your second question. There are no pronouns, adjectives or common nouns in the sentence that describe the subject so nothing that clearly marks the gender.


Is it correct that there is no article before 'university'?


Yes. university is one of those words like school, home, work, hospital, etc that drop the article after certain prepositions. Often this usage has a special meaning, e.g. "get into university" means be accepted to study there, not just to be inside the building, and "at home" means that you are experiencing domestic life, not just that your current location is the place where you live.


Thanks, I got it.

Learn Russian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.