"Поставь кастрюлю на плиту."

Translation:Put the pot on the stove.

November 24, 2015

This discussion is locked.


From pictures I've looked at online, it appears to me that "pot" would be a much better translation for кастрюля than "saucepan." When I think of a "saucepan," I always think of сковорода.


Сковорода is simply a pan or a frying pan, but not a saucepan. "Pot" can be "кастрюля" as in "pots and pans", but if it is made of clay or ceramics, it will be called горшок, and if it is made of cast iron and is shaped like a pear put upside down, it will be called чугунок (from чугун = cast iron). The most common translation of кастрюля is "saucepan". The word кастрюля was originally derived from "casserole", but, unlike the latter, it refers to a vessel.


I'm going to disagree here. Кастрюля is pot, сковорода is pan, saucepan is сотейник. Saucepan -- is a type of a pan with higher walls for sautéing. Google images seems to agree.

(Native Russian speaker from Moscow originally, living in the US for 22 years now.)

Edit: сотейник, of course.


Firstly, сотейник spells with an 'o' after 'c'. Secondly, as a native Russian who has lived in Russia all his life I can assure you that this word is rarely used these days. More often people call it глубокая сковорода or кастрюля с длинной ручкой, depending on how deep it is. A saucepan is usually called кастрюля when it's depth is bigger than its radius. Кастрюля does not necessarily have a long handle. It may have two symmetrical small handles instead. I guess, in that case, 'pot' would be a more appropriate word for the utensil. Кастрюля made of glass and designed for cooking in the oven is called 'casserole'.


Ok, we can agree on this.

Except anything that goes into the oven can't be кастрюля. Casserole is something like форма для запекания/выпечки/пирога.


my pnemonic for кастрюля: "cast(-iron) rules, yeah." stupid but i thought id share :p


My first thought exactly


I wrote "put the saucepan on the hob" but lost a life :( I'm sure hob is a valid translation for ПЛИТА.


What is a hob? (Native speaker of American English here.)


It's what you put saucepans on when you want to cook. Kind of the same as a stove, I'd say. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/hob


Yeah, yeah, I get what it is, I just never heard the term either. Is it British or Australian or Scottish or what? Here in the states it's called the "element".


I like how "British" and "Scottish" are separated here. Clearly us Scots are different people!


Yeah, we're not British up here, even if we do live in England...


It looks as though your comment could prove to be true now that Brexit appears to be going to happen.


I'd say that's still pretty unlikely.


I'd say it's widely used throughout Britain. I didn't realise it was not widely used in the US. Found this link about the word if you're curious http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/cooker-vs-cooktop-vs-hob-vs-stove.1422990/


Interesting! Thanks. :)


American here, too...I only have heard it called an "element" (or, more often, "heating element") if it is attached to a stove--in which case it might also be called a "burner." Hotplate is the only term that readily comes to mind for the standalone kind.


Hob = hotplate. Пилта is the whole cooker/stove. There is a semantic difference although the meaning is understood. Interestingly, Yandex Translate gives пилта as an alternative translation for "hotplate", but I don't think it's fair to say a hob and a cooker/stove are the same things for the purpose of this exercise.


I've personally never heard "hob" being used to refer to "плита".


Well, whether or not you've personally heard it, that's what hob means.


Where is that term used?


In American English hob = burner


I think that hob really applies to the sort of cooking areas that you see inset into a worktop. A stove is something freestanding.


I guess, it is OK to add that sometimes the names of the kitchen items pretty much depend on the place (in the USA, for example) where they are used. http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/pictures/27182/150-family-dinners-under-500-calories


Can I use "place" instead of "put on"? It was flagged as a wrong sentence.


When I was at school, we were taught to translate плита as a (gas-)cooker or range. I wonder how widely these words are used nowadays.


I always say put it on the cooker, that ought to be accepted.


I'm just reporting 'cooker' again...


Stove, cooker, burner and hob SHOULD all be accepted.

  • 937

Isn't burner the specific part that gets hot (i.e. a stove has multiple burners)? Do you call the whole surface a burner?


Range is used in the US all the time.


Indeed, but not accepted as yet. I hope that can change or someone explain why.


In Ireland we use cooker as the generic term, especially for modern appliances. Stove is very old fashioned. Oven is the enclosed part of a cooker used for roasting or baking. Range is typically a unit that provides heating as well as cooking, found very often in farm houses, but there are also modern up market versions in large urban kitchens. Hob is what we call a horizontal cooking area fixed on top of a different kitchen unit like a dish washer. The individual cooking points in a hob are called rings or elements.

  • 937

Oh, by the way, an individual ring is конфорка.


Кастрюля could be translated as casserole I think. Why it was not accepted?


Although casserole and кастрюля are cognates, the two words don't have the same meaning. Кастрюля is a metal cilinder-shaped pot with a lid, which is used for cooking soup or poridge. Кастрюли are mostly used for cooking on a stove, whereas casseroles are not.


A casserole dish is usually a glass dish for cooking in an oven. I'm not sure if this could be a кастрюля; certainly кастрюля is broader than casserole dish, and casseroles aren't cooked on the stove so that's probably not what this is.


Casserole is something like форма для запекания/выпечки/пирога, not кастрюля by any stretch.


Check images for casserole on Google. The word can refer to several type of vessels including classical кастрюля. It can also be форма для выпекания лазаньи or форма для тушения мяса с овощами. Пироги in Russia are seldom (if ever) baked in casseroles. For making a pie a metal sheet (противень - the word derived from the German Brotpfanne) is used instead.


I did: eyeballing it, out of the 100 or so, three or four were кастрюли -- not very convincing. The rest were the almost flat rectangular baking vessels from glass, ceramics and metals that go into the oven to make casseroles and lasagnas. With handles and without.

Форма для тушения/выпекания -- sure, that's exactly it. I mostly agree about противень (baking sheet) and pies. Some exceptions though would be the cases where you need to make something that takes liquid or easily flowing dough, such as бисквит, шарлотка and so on: you would use a casserole for those. I actually make a cabbage pie in a medium sized casserole rather than on a baking sheet, it's just easier to handle.

I appreciate the etymological details you frequently include in your posts, by the way. Not being a linguist, I find them very interesting and some are totally unexpected.


Cannot кастрюля be kettle?


We tend not to have pots in the UK these days, nor stoves (apart from rich folks who inhabit country houses and expensive parts of London, that's just the stoves part, and they tend not to use the word stove, but the brand name 'Aga') Pots went out years ago as a word for a cooking utensil, saucepan is generally used for anything that goes on the top of a cooker (usually known as the hob) and casserole dish or roasting tin for anything that goes in the oven part of a cooker. So the term put the pot on the stove would probably only be used by someone jokingly or over the age of 80, as would an old fashioned idiom 'put wood in th' hole' (probably only in the north of England) for close the door.


Wow! That is so interesting. In Germany we actually learn the words "pot" and "stove" in school (so we probably sound old fashioned if we use them, right?). I have another question regarding the English translations: DL uses "on (something)" and "in (something)" everytime I would have used "onto (something)" or "into (something)". Is the difference negligible?

[deactivated user]

    Could one of the 'the's be replaced with an 'a'? If yes, which?

    Learn Russian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.