1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Polish
  4. >
  5. "Moje kolorowe majtki"

"Moje kolorowe majtki"

Translation:My colorful underpants

December 12, 2015



The English use "pants" to denote underpants, whereas the Americans use "underwear" or "underpants."

The word "pants" can be a great source of confusion or embarrassment. In England, "pants" means underwear, whereas in America, pants is used to refer to what the English call "trousers." (In America, "panties" means female underpants, but "pants" always means "trousers," not "underwear.")

E.g., the sentence "I just stained my new pants" has two very different meanings, depending on whether you find yourself in England or America! (Yes, I made this mistake on one occasion in England...)


In Australia, I've never heard anybody call underwear "pants." We call them "jocks" for men or "undies" for women.


The English say underwear or underpants, never heard anyone use pants in this sense


It's definitely a difference that many people, both Brits and Americans, have remarked on, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3bFDQmvwo4


"Underwear" could also be correct, no?


Underwear is a bit more general, and should be translated as bielizna.


They started out white two weeks ago!


I can see this sentence coming in use when I go to Poland this summer


kolorowe ma dwa znaczenia albo nie-biale (color/ colored) albo o kolorach rzucajacych sie w oczy. Wtedy colorful jest dobrym tlumaczeniem


Is there a website where people can look up words and see all the forms of it? Like verb conjugations, and nouns in all different cases and singular/plural


English Wiktionary is really good, and if you get familiar with it, and if they don't have some word, you can check it on the Polish one.


I was already doing exactly this when I read the comment above and can testify that this is a good technique. I always have a tab with wiktionary open.

  • 1997

I suggest Grammatical Dictionary of Polish (click the gears icon to change its interface to English)


That's wonderfully useful, though now I wish the Duolingo program had had us learn the names of the cases in Polish.


Cannot it mean "coloured"?


Thanks for the image, Duo. Beautiful.


would kolorowe be equivalent to tie-dye?


It just means "colorful", tie-dye is a pattern.


why am I marked wrong for using colored instead of colorful?


Colored, in English, simply means that it has been given some color, so a red shirt is colored, for instance. Colorful usually means that there are multiple colors involved, or at least that the object is of some unusually bright, saturated color. My brown trousers, for instance, are clearly colored, as the thread was not naturally that uniform in tone, at least, but they are far from colorful. I am not sure whether this distinction holds in Polish, of course, and kolorowe actually looks to me like it might be the same sort of past participle as adjective as colored.


It seems that the usage of this word veries depending on the person... I was told by a native that it does work here. OK, added.

Learn Polish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.