Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/vinaysaini

Unofficial Introduction [No.2] to the Hindi Writing System -Devanāgarī

vinaysaini

Here is the first post on this topic

Posted in the Last Week of December 2015

From some Duolingo Hindi Team’s postings on WIU (Weekly Incubator Update), it is understood that they would like to make sure that each consonant-vowel combo (का, कि, की, कु, कू etc) of Devanāgarī alphasyllabary are covered before they get introduced as a part of a word. There can easily be over 100 alphasyllabaries to be covered and that might make for long and boring lessons. Currently (actually the same status for the last 5 months!), they are gravitating towards a model where they will teach only those alphasyllabaries that are needed for the skill at the very start of that skill.

Salute to Duolingo Hindi Team. But, my take on the subject is different. In my view, we should start learning consonants firstly with just one vowel sound अ schwa which is implicit in each consonant of Devanāgarī. Then, learn and practice some 2-letters words and 3-letters words, form some basic informal command sentences. And then, expand the same pattern upto 4-letter words, before we move to next vowels. Obviously, when we move step by step, it takes some time to learn things. However, after the solid ground is gained, the journey thereafter is far more easier and pleasant.

So, here is the first letter of Hindi alphabet, अ :-

This letter's sound, implicit in each consonant of Devanāgarī, is obligatorily deleted at the end of words. Wiki reference here

Some more vowels here below. For now, I am just describing their initial and independent form (because we just need to know only this much now) preceded by their approximate English equivalents: -

अ a, आ aa, इ i, ई ii, उ u, ऊ uu

Please right-click to open my webpage in new tab and listen to the sounds files: Hindi first 3 short and long vowel pairs and consonants around English alphabetical order
The consonants. I’ve set them in English alphabetical order (row-wise). Try to read them with your English phonic inventory. Just note that: -
- adding h adds aspiration to the consonants’ sound.
- small case d, t denote dental plosives whereas capital case D, T denote retroflex plosives, and .D denotes retroflex flap.
- small case 'n’ denotes dental nasal; upper case N denotes retroflex nasal.
- uppercase G, Kh denote uvular (back of soft palate) fricatives
- a dot below some hindi letters suggests that the letter does not belong to the alphabet of pure Hindi but appears in Perso-Arabic loanwords.

Now, just try to read them with particular attention to Devanāgarī letters: -

Have you read them all successfully?

Whatever the answer, for those who are still interested I've created a course at memrise.com. The course is studded with multimedia lessons. And every entry in the practice lessons is provided with a sound file.

Here it is: Learn Devanāgarī through ITrans (Indic Transliteration)

2 years ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/shukladhaivat17

Lovely Posṭ.... :)

Have a Lingot ... :)

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/vinaysaini
vinaysaini

Thank you :).
But it is looking weird at some places. Formatting code *{@style for formatting tables no more working :(

Edit: 31-Oct-2016
Deleted Formatting code *{@style for tables.
Embedded snapshots of tables. :)

2 years ago