Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/IanEvison

"Behøver du en kæde til maskinen?"

Let me start by admitting that a favorite way I have of procrastinating about stuff I should be doing is by spending time thinking up stuff for others to do.... This confession out of the way, I have a suggestion for our most wonderful Danish team. Having hung around Duolingo for a while it seems to me that there are certain recurring suggestions for making Duolingo more helpful for those at an intermediate level, but which it seems do not fit with the overall development priorities--a translation level, a reverse tree, or a series of more advanced lessons.

Seeing the recurring suggestions for these things and seeing them not happen makes me ponder to myself what suggestions could be most within the realm of the possible. Reframing a bit, I ask myself what changes could be made which could make Duolingo more helpful to those at an intermediate level, without major investment in the structure of it?

I had a Russian teacher once who observed that it is not the big words that get you in learning a language, but the little ones. And so I find it to be with the intermediate level of Danish. Good examples are the distinction of when to use i and when på, or when to use til and when to use for--as in the above sentence.

How would this be for an idea?: I have noticed that our great Danish team has been working hard at greatly improving the depth of content. Thanks! This is a wonderful help to those like myself who use Duolingo for review of the basics. How about, as part of that revision, adding more options where we are given the choice between pairs of these words that people tend to confuse: i-på, for-til, hvis-om, da-når? It seems to me that in examples like the above, the Duolingo tree to lean into teaching the til-for distinction, by just adding an option.

What these distinctions are that need to be learned is, I discover, pretty well-mapped territory. I am using a series of books by Michael Øckenholt from Gyldendal that is pretty widely used in courses in Denmark for Danish as a second language. There is a pretty good online listing at http://www.basby.dk/modul1/.

I see one reason that this is not a good idea: If too much of this sort of thing were added to the tree it would become very frustrating to beginners. At the beginning level, it is better not to worry about such distinctions since, by and large, they are not critical to understanding and being understood. So, it would be wrong to frustrate beginners with too many of such details.

However, how about adding some more of them? One features of the best thought out language learning is that examples of features are introduced as idioms in dialogues in lessons before the particular grammar point is explained. The reason I find myself liking my own suggestions here (of course!) because it seems like with it a small amount of work completely within the present structure could make Duolingo Danish a better bridge to those who are going to continue with the language.

So, how about--as the content of the present tree is deepened and mistakes are corrected, adding a modicum of such contrasts even though they are beyond what the tree attempts to teach?

Thanks all. With grate gratitude for all those who have worked so hard that learning for me might be so easy.

2 years ago

6 Comments