"Fall is warm, dry and long."
Translation:L'automne est chaud, sec et long.
"Fall" is about as English as it gets. Good, old English, carried to America. The British then, for some reason, took "autumn" from the French and the Americans didn't follow suit. "Autumn" now stands as the only one of the English words for a season that isn't Saxon ("fall" was). Maybe the Americans are more English than the English these days.
Is the prefix of "la", "le" and "l'" always obligatory for seasons in French?
I think this sentence needs to be fixed: "A fall (into a tall volcano) is warm, dry and long" or "A fall (from a plane during a drought) is warm, dry and long". If you're not American the sentence as it currently is makes no sense! (Alternatively you could just change "fall" to "autumn".)
Or, you could just recognize that "fall" is what "autumn" is called in some places, and translate appropriately. After all, when we North Americans got "The toy is in the bin," most of us had no idea that "bin" meant garbage/trash can.
I understand that it can be annoying to have to translate very North American English that may not be familiar to you, though I don't see why changing it to British English would make it any better!
Is "autumn" a strange word to you? Do you have to translate it to "fall" before the sentence makes sense? If "autumn" makes sense to 100% of English speakers why not use that as the default on Duolingo? Currently it makes sense to 55% and the remaining 45% is still a huge number of people! What I think would probably be ideal would be to split English into American English and Worldwide-except-America English. At least that way you wouldn't have to put up with everyone else's complaints about their preferred words!
By the way does "bin" have any meaning in En-US? We used to call it a (rubbish) bin but trash can is creeping in.
Sorry, I was a bit cranky when I wrote that comment.
No, "autumn" is not a strange word to me, and maybe it would be more universally understood.
"Bin" refers to a large (relatively speaking...it could be as small as 1 ft long or as big as 20 ft), rectangular container here. "Poubelle" was the only word given as a hint, however, and I kept forgetting that in at least some places in Britain a "bin" has the same meaning as what we Canadians call a "garbage."
No, the arrows are upvoting/downvoting to say you agree/disagree or think that a post is good/bad.
Lingots can only be given on the website, so if you're using the app you won't see the option. Below each comment is a number (the number of up/down votes), two arrows for voting, a "Reply" link, a "Give Lingot" link and how long ago the comment was posted.
'Fall' is the older Saxon word because the trend to use French for polite well-educated British people came after the pilgrims went to America....our word 'autumn' comes from the French which comes from the Latin. Anyway, I'm Australian but I think it's nice that the Americans use English that was frozen in time and less influenced by the French (not that there is anything wrong with that, of course). Personally, I think these words are American English at its best!
G'day mate! There's nothing wrong with American English and there's nothing wrong with Australian English either. "Fall" is a season in AmE. "Fall" is not a season in AusE. We use more French words than the Americans because Australian English branched off British English more recently. I don't know about you, but I understand "fall" the season as a purely American word. So far there's no hint of it being used as an Australian English word. I wonder if there's anything we say that seems wrong to Americans?
Actually, I don't know what "fall" means, except as a rapid descent or a verb. Every time I encounter it, I have to stop because it makes no sense to me, then I remember that to Americans it means "autumn". If someone says to me "I like the fall" I would think about a ride at an amusement park before the season!
It cannot be "longue" as it is a masculine noun. http://www.larousse.com/en/dictionnaires/francais/automne
(1), It would be weird, because nobody would say it like that in speech, and (2), it's only used in the figurative sense nowadays. So one could say "une bienvenue chaleureuse" ("a warm welcome") or "un débat chaleureux" ("a heated debate"), but not "une journée chaleureuse" ("a warm day"), which would instead be expressed as "une journée chaude."
The French don't distinguish between warm and hot. Sometimes context will tell you which one we'd use in English and sometimes not.
- Il fait chaud aujourd'hui - It is warm/hot today (maybe 25°-35°)
- Il fait très chaud aujourd'hui - It is very hot today (maybe hotter than 35°)
- Un chocolat chaud - A hot chocolate
Just remember that "warm" is a mild form of "hot".