Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/-Katrina.-

Problem with learning a language?

-Katrina.-

I was listening to the French song Papaoutai earlier, and I realized I could recognize more of the words, which I was feeling pretty proud of. Then as I was listening to the song again later, I realized I liked the parts I didn't understand better. With the parts I didn't understand, I was listening more to how the words sounded since French is a beautiful language. However, with the words I did understand, I was listening more for the meaning. I realized I do the same thing with English: I listen with the intent to understand, never just to marvel at how the language sounds.

Does anyone else feel like they lose a little of the appreciation for how beautiful a language sounds when they are more focused on comprehending it?

2 years ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/DragonPolyglot
DragonPolyglot

The reason I learn a language usually boils down to a song or tv show. I usually end up liking a specific character or fall in love with some music. I started wanting to learn Italian, Russian and Japanese because of an Anime. And I want to learn Korean, Latin and Sanskrit because of songs. I find that having inspiration of that sort helps, but once you understand it you start to forget a language's sounds because you're translating the sounds you recognize to sounds you already know in your mind. Often one doesn't think of the sounds of a language they know well until they learn yet another language. Then the sounds become a little more familiar and the way you use the language changes. It's like a jigsaw puzzle; you open the box, you put together a little bit at a time, and as the picture gets clearer it's easier, and then you take it apart and put it together again.... and to some the work becomes less appreciated each time, because you know the picture already. But some, like me, like the idea of the knowledge of such a puzzle. Even as the picture becomes clearer, I still marvel at the slightest details of the picture, because to me it's the message that counts.

So, I do think it happens at every point with a language, but the more you progress, the more you can focus on both the sounds and meanings. I mean, many, if not all, here knows what English sounds like and what each sounded word means. We all have our own preference with things, and language is no exception, so just because the beauty is lost now doesn't mean it won't be there again. Sometimes the sounds once more are beautiful, sometimes you'll find yourself crying at beautiful meanings, and sometimes you might realize how beautiful it is that you know something that others may not care to know. Or maybe a mixture of each at the same time.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DiamondDragon

Actually, yes! Unless of course its English.

2 years ago