perhaps because of the 'un' un permiso = a permit and 'a permission' is awkward English.
Literal translations work perfectly here:
- ¿Quién necesita un permiso? = Who needs a permit?
- ¿Quién necesita permiso? = Who needs permission?
Who needs a permission (to submit a comment on doulingo)? Does not seem awkward English to me ...
Permission is an uncountable noun, so you can't say "a permission." You can use "a" when permission modifies something else, like "a permission slip", though.
i am not a native english speaker. whats de difference betweenn a permit and a permission?
A permit can be thought of as a physical thing. For instance a hunter wears a hunting permit pinned to his jacket. Permission is a concept. The hunter who received the permit was granted permission by the state fish and game department.
Hi. I copied this off a word reference forum for you and then tried to add translations:
1) Permit - verb (allow) --un verbo que significa permitir (sorry if this is butchered, still trying to learn Spanish :-) )
ejemplo: My parents would never permit me to stay out so late. Mis padres nunca me permitirian quedar fuera tan tarde. (again, please forgive any errors - it does not help that I cannot put in accents either)
2) Permit - noun ( an official document which gives permission) --un sustantivo (un documento oficial que da consentimiento o autorización)<pre>
ejemplo: I need a building permit to add on to my house. Necesito un permiso de edificio para anadir a mi casa.</pre>
3) Permission - noun (approval - written or verbal) -- un sustantivo - escrito o verbal)<pre>
You will need written permission from your parents to go on the trip. Mother gave me permission to stay out until midnight.</pre>
Necesitaras permiso escrito de tus padres para ir al viaje. Madre me da permiso quedar fuera hasta medianoche.
I hope this helps. Also, if you could please correct any errors in my translations, I would love it.
P.S. I have no idea why some of this post is highlighted. I didn't even know that was possible to do here, so I do not know how it happened.
Highlighting is done by surrounding things with backticks (top-left of the keyboard). On other sites that use markdown it's mostly used for snippets of code, but works pretty well for examples on Duolingo.