Translation:To divide

January 27, 2016

This discussion is locked.


It sounds as though she's putting a T in front of the word. Is that correct?


No, the sound should be what is called a voiceless alveolar trill. If you look that up on Wikipedia, you can find a more detailed description of it and an audio recording.

Basically, make a trilled (rolled) R, and keep your vocal folds from vibrating. Perhaps trying to exhale a H while producing the R would help.

If you hold your fingers to your throat while saying B, D, or G (all voiced sounds), you'll feel the vibrations in your throat. Contrast that with saying P, T, and K (all unvoiced or voiceless). Basically the same sound, just without the vibrations that are present for B, D, and G, right? With Welsh "rh," it's the same concept -- "normal" R is voiced (has the throat vibrations), and "rh" is voiceless (lacks those vibrations) -- remove the vibration, and you're set.


Thank you for such an in-depth reply. Very interesting. :)


This is one of the reasons I love Welsh, it has not one but two types of trilled R! That along with the hard "ch" sound and the very unique "'ll" sound make it a very cool language!


I had the same impression (and mistook the word twice). The 'r' is not clearly rolled either.


Can I say "Dau rhannu dau yn hafal i 0?"


No, because that equals 1!


Are share and division the same?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!


Well share in English can mean to divide as in "The pirates shared the treasure", so it seems reasonable to me.

Learn Welsh in just 5 minutes a day. For free.