Suggestion: Exercise for immersion section
Tired of myself criticizing the immersion section and not giving any suggestions I finally came up with this (forgive me if it doesn't make any sense):
Not yet translated sentence: http://i.imgur.com/W7Za9NQ.png
Translated or checked by you: http://i.imgur.com/MIGs4a1.png
Checked by the community: http://i.imgur.com/BY9iYaO.png
I successfully convinced my parents to use duolingo but I failed in my attempts to explain the immersion section (I don't use it much either). I think something similar to the familiar UI of a lesson could work.
Warning! this does not suggest to replace the current UI for the immersion section but just some extra exercises that would help users translate documents in chunks of 40 sentences.
You would get some sense of accomplishment by either translating or rating the 40 sentences. You can skip five of them (the five hearts). The color code is the same as in the current immersion section.
The 'translate entire article' button would take you to the current immersion section.
Thanks for listening!
thanks! If I had read that before I probably wouldn't have made this suggestion :)
Here is a Guide to Duolingo Guides that your parents might appreciate. It also has a tutorial for Immersion, called the Immersion Navigation Guide http://www.duolingo.com/comment/1278938
Just a heads up though, these were created for the layout that about 90% of Duolingo sees when they log in. However, if either you or your parents are part of the other 10%, they might see something slightly different. The good news is that Immersion will be similar enough that the guide will still make sense. ^_^