Unlike English, son/sa/ses have the same gender of the following word, not the subject.
- Il appelle sa femme = He calls his wife.
- Elle appelle sa mère = She calls her mother.
- Elle appelle son mari = She calls her husband.
Il appelle son père = He calls his father.
Il appelle son fils = He calls his son.
- Il appelle ses fils = He calls his sons.
- Elle appelle sa fille = She calls her daughter.
- Elle appelle ses filles = She calls her daughters.
One more thing, when the next word starts with a vowel (or sometimes H), sa becomes son.
- Il appelle sa copine = He calls his (girl)friend.
- Il appelle son amie = He calls his friend.
- Elle raconte sa vie = She tells her life.
- Elle raconte son histoire = She tells her story.