https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Juanitalandia

Flirting Section inappropriate, useless and offensive to women - please modify it or take it down

Hello Duolingo Content Builders,

I am a Spanish teacher at an all girls middle school. We enjoy using Duolingo and have found it useful for our learning. 6th, 7th and 8th grade (11, 12 and 13 year old) girls are doing Duolingo on a regular basis.

My 7th and 8th graders have brought to my attention that the flirting section is "stupid", "useless" and "sexist". It's too bad that this popular tool is reinforcing stereotypes and sexist language in the Spanish speaking world.

I do think a "how to flirt" section would be fun, even amazing, and the girls could really get into it if it were more about practical phrases like, "I like you." "do you like me?" "do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend?" "do you have plans this weekend?" "I think I'm falling in love with you." "What's your phone number?" "Where are you from?" Whatever!

There are many ways to make this flirting section relevant to real people and especially students. Please take your current flirting section down and modify it for real-life use and application.

Muchas gracias, Juanita

January 10, 2014

0 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.