Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/Bink-the-Beagle

So whats so useful about the language Dutch?

When I moved to an International School in Singapore, I met many different cultures and yes, languages. I was always bummed out at the time for me having this unknown small speaking language called DUTCH. Me being dutch and all, I always wanted to be fluent in some language like mandarin in China. (Which I studied and live in now:)!!!) For some reason I just thought it was useless. However some research revealed to me that Dutch isn't that useless at all! Here a 4 reasons why!

1. Dutch is spoken not only in the Netherlands, but also in Suriname, Indonesia, Bonaire and Saint Eustatius and Saba (three municipalities in the caribbean), Curaçao, Sint Maarten and the surprisingly parts of Canada!

2. Dutch is mutually intelligible to Afrikaans (spoken in south africa and zimbabwe), some phrases in Bahasa Indonesia, Flemish (a national language of belgium (dutch with an accent and some small understandable different words).

3. It is a blend of three widely spoken languages with its own seasoning. English: I am Dutch German: Ich bin Niederländisch Dutch: Ik ben Nederlander

English: menu, wallet, umbrella French: menu, portefeuille, parapluie Dutch: menu, portefeuille/portemonnee, paraplu

English: dancing, eating, drinking Dutch: Dansen, eten, drinken

And finally, 4. Dutch people are everywhere. On holiday in rural china? A dutchie is probably next to your hotel room. They are an international community of expats and tourists.

In total 27 million people (17 million in the Netherlands and the remaining 10 million elsewhere) speak dutch. I'm happy to be a dutchie. Prettige dag verder! Have a good day!

2 years ago

10 Comments