1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Vietnamese
  4. >
  5. "She speaks Vietnamese becaus…

"She speaks Vietnamese because she is Vietnamese."

Translation:Cô ấy nói tiếng Việt tại vì cô ấy là người Việt Nam.

June 2, 2016

8 Comments


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/rgrey25

I suppose the difference between "tieng Viet" and "nguoi Viet" is the difference between the Vietnamese language and the Vietnamese ethnicity?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/LanguageButcher

Yes, you are correct.

Tiếng = voice, sound, language.
Người = people, human, person.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/StewartMM

Why "người Việt Nam" instead of "người Việt"?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/NguyenTanBuu

Both are correct. We often use "người Việt" for short. Same with "người Nhật" and "người Nhật Bản", "người Hàn" and "người Hàn Quốc",...


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Q3fc3

I've heard that "người Việt" refers to "Kinh people". They account for 86% of the Vietnamese population, so the expression "người Việt" might exclude the other 14%. It's only my opinion though...


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/taga064

Việt Nam ơi , Việt Nam ơi


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/StewartMM

Just noticing...

Isn't the name of this module "Questions 1"? So why are we getting a sentence which is not a question and has nothing in it specifically that is used for constructing questions in Vietnamese?

Learn Vietnamese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.