"Thank you very much, goodbye!"
Translation:Köszönöm szépen, viszlát!
Agree. I chose this option and received an "incorrect", however in the explanation it says this is a correct option??
Yet, I wrote "Nagyon köszönöm, viszontlátásra" but was marked wrong... the viszontlátásra was marked as wrong...
It should be accepted as is a correct translation.
- szépen is from "szép" meaning nice, beautiful.
- szépen means nicely
- Similar to szívesen which means your welcome, but literally heartily (from szív meaning heart).
It's one of those funny, polite ways of speaking in Hungarian. It's a polite way of saying "Thank you very much". "Nagyon köszönöm" is also a similar expression - they are somewhat interchangeable.
Nagyon köszönöm, viszlát! is a proper form, but Nagyon köszönöm, szia! is not. Any explanation on that?
There are many ways you could translate this phrase. Be patient until it's added.
how can you remember these simple phrases, i have trouble in doing so.
Hungarian is a pretty difficult language to learn, especially for English speakers. Not only is there vastly more grammar and a different logic, but they use very few internationally used words.
What I do, to make the memory load a bit easier, is to split up the words into their elements, but that requires you to have a bit of grammatical knowledge. Let's use "Köszönöm szépen, viszontlátásra!" as an example:
- köszön - to greet, to welcome, to thank; mostly used with the latter meaning.
- -öm - suffix to make it 'I thank for it'. The 'it' here is implied; this suffix is part of the special 'definite conjugation' which is used if there's a certain object around.
- Köszönöm - I thank you for it.
- szép - nice, pretty
- -en - makes it an adverb so it can go with the verb köszönöm.
- Köszönöm szépen - I thank you nicely for that.
- viszont - likewise, each other
- lát - to see
- -ás - makes it a noun: látás = seeing
- -ra - suffix for a movement to the upper surface of something, onto.
- viszontlátásra - "onto seeing each other", or in better English: looking forward to seeing each other again. If you're familiar with German, you'll see parallels with "Auf Wiedersehen".
It's a lot of baggage going on, even with the basic phrases, so take your time to learn those. I recommend getting a (paper) dictionary and look up each word you encounter and browse around what meanings they can take if you add suffixes. That helps a lot.
This is great, thanks!
Is there much difference between 'a viszontlátásra' and just 'viszontlátásra'?
There isn't any difference, but I think the version without the article is said more often.
i find the Wiktionary site very helpful for discovering what the various parts of words mean. it does help memorization a bit to see what the roots are and what the prefixes and suffixes mean.
I got asked to write 'Thank you, goodbye!' in Magyar, I put 'Köszönöm szépen, viszontlátás' and I got it incorrect. Is it technically incorrect though?
This is supposed to be a basic course in Hungarian? No way! It does not teach you the basic words like boy, girl, man, woman, drink, eat, lamp, weather, what ever... It starts with difficult, complex and complicated sentences. Not possible to remember anything. I learn Spanish, Italian, French, Polish, German, Portuguese on Duo, but Hungarian is not possible without being somewhat familiar with this language. I give up!