"Le panneau d'arrivée"

Translation:The finish sign

January 31, 2013



what the heck is a finish sign? I've never come across this term in 28 years of my life

February 7, 2013


me either. haha!

October 5, 2013


Really?? To me, it's the big sign that says FINISH at the end of a race.

September 8, 2014


The trouble is that we call that the finish line. There is usually a line or rope that is attached to it to hold it in place across the race track and there can be a painted line on the track as well. The confusing thing is that in French the finish line also has a name "La ligne d'arrivée". It must be an actual sign, perhaps in a big Olympic type stadium high above the finish line.. http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/arriv%c3%a9e/5456/locution?q=d+arriv%c3%a9e#159520

December 4, 2014


Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. But I wonder if that's what the Duolingo folk had in mind.

September 8, 2014


On the discussion board of the inverse problem, Sitesurf indicated that that is exactly the meaning in French. However, the French phrase looks suspiciously like "the arrival board", such as one would find at an airport. Would have gotten it wrong had my version of the problem not been "pick-a-word"!

September 8, 2014



October 17, 2014


You're not talking about something people refer to often in that case. If you mean the line the runners cross at the end of the race, it's called the "finish LINE" & not "finish sign" - they may as well have "the START sign" because people would be equally confused translating that (it is also something people do not refer to often)

February 20, 2015


Nor me & I'm ancient

October 17, 2014


66 years of my life. I've never come across it and I don't know what it means.

September 7, 2014


In another comment section regarding this phrase, someone made the very clever suggestion of typing "panneau d'arrivée" into images.google.com. Then you will actually see some examples, and the results are very interesting, especially in light of all the discussion in this comment section.

October 26, 2014


Yes, very interesting. I saw "finish" signs for races, but also arrival signs for airports and signs announcing that you have arrived at cities. However I don't know if the algorithm might also take the words separately as well as one expression.


Oh the accents are not working on the link, so you'll have to finish typing it in yourself.

December 4, 2014


The translation should be "arrivals board" or the "finish board" as in during a game or a race the panel where they show who's finished the race or at an airport the board with flight arrivals. That's what it's supposed to mean, not "the finish sign"

February 25, 2013


The Arrival board is now accepted

October 14, 2013


"The Arrivals sign" is also now accepted, and according to a well-researched comment further down in this thread by allintolearning, it is perhaps the more 'correct' translation.

January 26, 2015


Right, that's what I thought so I said "finish line". No go.

January 4, 2014


OHHHHH thank you! I had no idea what a "finish board" was...

December 16, 2013


Not many people would guess what this meant. To an English speaker it makes no sense.

January 4, 2014


Maybe finish line? As in a race?

August 12, 2013


"The panel of arrival"? No one would ever say that.

April 7, 2013


Could one say "The sign of arrival"?

February 16, 2013


I did and it was accepted.

September 23, 2013


Well that's really weird then. It sounds like you're talking about something arriving. Like the Apocalypse.

September 12, 2014


Finish and arrival do not mean the same thing. This is a very confusing statement. No wonder I got it wrong.

May 19, 2014


You know at the end of a race, above the finish line, there's a finish sign.

July 19, 2014


sure, but who the heck ever actually talks about it?! it's not some acceptable everyday phrase, like "finish line" is, & depending on what the intended meaning for this is, it should be translated idiomatically & reflected in the hover hints...

February 20, 2015


After using Duo for some time, I've come to realise that the (more) correct translation for this sentence is "The arrival board". I think it's referring to the arrival board at an airport for example.

February 20, 2015


hi Clovis! I looked at these discussions extensively, actually the french translation for that is "tableau" - also, it seems pretty that the french refer to the sign in their language while we refer to the line in ours. So I appreciate your response but it seems the matter has been settled & this really should be translated accordingly (idiomatically and not literally). Seems it sparked some spirited discussion here, & rightfully so! When has anyone ever said the finish sign in with any significant frequency in english? Never!! haha

February 20, 2015


So you're saying it should be translated as "the finish sign"?

It's a bit odd because Duo accepts "the arrival board" and google translate translates it to "the arrival board" and "the arrival panel", but no mention of "the finish sign" on google translate...

February 20, 2015


So, is this a commonly used phrase in French? If so, where/in what context?

July 28, 2014


looks like it's used the way we use "finish line" in english - see further discussion in this thread, & in the other threads dedicated to sentences that also contain this phrase

February 20, 2015


I had "the finishing post" which it seems from this discussion could equally well translate this, but of course Duo marked it wrong.

August 14, 2014


I said the board of arrivals (as in at an airport or station) but I have no idea what a board of arrival or a finish sign is. The only meaning I can possibly think of is that they mean a finish line in a race, or maybe just a bad way of saying board of arrivalS?

August 31, 2014


I think the problem is that the idea of an "arrival sign" is not really expressed in English with any specific set of words. The problem arises because I assume that this is something used fairly commonly in French, but with no real English translation.

January 2, 2015


exactly!! & it's obviously annoying to a lot of us too, hahahaha I pay you lingots for expressing my thoughts exactly (& thereby saving me the trouble of doing so!! thank you!!!!) :D :D :D

February 20, 2015


Just curious: why "arrivée" instead of "arrivé"? "Le panneau" is mascline, so I would have thought it would take "arrivé".

February 11, 2015


Because in this case, according to the structure of the French sentence, "arrivée" is a noun, not an adjective. I.e. "The sign of the finish" as opposed to "The finished sign". Those would be awful translations but it gives the idea of the French wordage.

February 15, 2015


The welcome sign

March 15, 2013


I thought so as well, but alas it took a heart from me... :(

September 27, 2013


why can't it be stop sign?

March 27, 2014


arrive doesn't mean stop. they're quite different.

August 31, 2014


Why "the finishing sign" is incorrect?

June 12, 2014


Am I the only one who found it strange that they used this word in Lesson 2 of Directions when it was first taught in Lesson 3 of Directions?

October 28, 2014
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.