1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Hebrew
  4. >
  5. "היא שוכרת מטבח."

"היא שוכרת מטבח."

Translation:She rents a kitchen.

July 13, 2016

27 Comments


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/ztk123

Does rent here mean she is the tenant or landlord? In English, "to rent" can mean either one. (A landlord rents out a apartment and an tenant rents it from him.)


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/giladxw

She is the tenant. If she is the landlord it would be היא משכירה מטבח. [maskiRA]


[deactivated user]

    Is the מ in מטבח the same or related to the מ in משכירה above?


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/YardenNB

    No. Both are part of the template and not part of the root, but I don't think the two templates are related. There are many templates with a מ.


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/DerAndereLerner

    If you add 'מ' in front of the root of the word, you usually form a noun... like מגדל or מפתח. (A tower is something BIG and a key is something used to open.)


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/nizdobs

    I have a tendency to confuse the homophones שוכר (rent) and סוחר (merchant). Perhaps because they both relate to a transaction?


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Noam161886

    Unfortunately, native speakers also confuse them.


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Agelastos

    I hear the sound "shohelet". Does "ר" sound like an "l" in this case?


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/TeribleT

    I hear it too, I played it repeatedly. I thought I left a comment on this last time but it didn't take.


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Keldenich

    hmmm sounds like the normal "ר" for me, and I'm pretty sure it will never sound like "l"


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/D8JMH

    Can this also be translated as "She is renting from a cook?"


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Hamutaltul

    not as it sounds at the audio, but if it was me-ta-bakh (מְטַבָּח) then yes


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Hsn626796

    Interesting notice


    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Hsn626796

    Interesting notice


    [deactivated user]

      DOES THIS MEAN SHE IS RENTING HERSELF A KITCHEN FROM SOMEONE ELSE, OR THAT SHE IS RENTING A KITCHEN TO SOMEONE?


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Hsn626796

      Well, גלעד וסרמן , in the above comment, states that it is the person who is renting "from someone else".


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/ain15412

      Why not "she is renting", it's as good IMHO


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/TeribleT

      Different sentence. She's not a renter in general, she's renting a specific space.


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/DavidCarver

      The ambiguity of the word "rent" in English suggests to me that the design of a DuoLingo course (translation-based and uncontextualised) might take this into account - that is, avoid ambiguity in the early stages, or at least if ambiguity cannot be avoided, then make sure that there is adequate context.


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/dsjanta

      The learners get an explanation a bit later about it, because the difference between "rent" and "rent out" in Hebrew is made between two binyanim - pa'al and hif'il, which is covered much later.

      Note that both come from the same root ש.כ.ר, but they are in different binyanim:

      pa'al - שוכר implies that you rent something from someone else.

      hif'il - משכיר implies that you rent out something to someone else.


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/YardenNB

      Right. But to make sure everyone are well confused, 90% of native Hebrew speakers say משכיר in both senses, driving the other 10% nuts.


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Michael112818

      How is משכיר pronounced?


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/CathyBell10

      Why do they not use את after the verb here? (I’m a beginner Hebrew learner)


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/danny912421

      Because את is used only when the direct object is definite. It would be "she rents the kitchen". Here it says "she rents A kitchen" so no need for את.


      https://www.duolingo.com/profile/CathyBell10

      Thank you! I understand now!

      Learn Hebrew in just 5 minutes a day. For free.