1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Italian
  4. >
  5. "I miei bicchieri colorati"

"I miei bicchieri colorati"

Translation:My colored glasses

February 1, 2013



Its glasses as in cups right not what you put on your nose


So what would glasses (glasses as in the ones that people wear) in Italian be?


Shouldn't the word "colorati" mean "colourful"?


I was going to put "colorful" before I saw that it wasn't in the list of meanings. It just makes sense at first. With that being said, I believe they ideally want you to say that the glasses have color (not clear) and not so much that it is full of colors.


Yeah, "colorato" literally is "colored", and "colorful" could be translated as "pieno di colori" (full of colors), but this meaning is also covered by "colorato". In this case, when talking about a set of glasses, they likely mean that every glass has its own color... but they could also be simply "non trasparenti", or even colorful.


So If I'm talking about a woman of color I'd say Una donna colorata. Io sono una donna colorata. Sì?


Nope, in that case you'd say "donna di colore".


A, ya ya I see. Grazie!^^


why is it wrong to say "My glasses are colorful"?


Took me a while, but I figure it's because there's no 'is' verb in there.


Your sentence is: "I miei bicchieri sono colorati".


Is it that bicchiere is the singular and I am just confused?

  • 2622

Yes; "bicchiere" belongs to the class of masculine names ending in "-e", so it's "il bicchiere" and plural "i bicchieri" (as in il cane / i cani).


Is there any rule of thumb for when a 'cc' word is spelled with an h?


Of course! CC is followed by an H when it's followed by an I or E, but they still want a K sound.

For example, the adjective "rich" is ricco/ricca in singular form, but ricchi/ricche in the plural.

The obvious question "when do they want a K sound?" has a more complicated answer, too large for the margins of this book.


The English translation of this should be "coloured" I write this from a British perspective ;-)


Which is accepted :) (Verified at 12 Sept. 2014)


Do they mean drinking glasses or actually glasses


Bicchieri = Drinking glasses Occhiali = Wearing glasses


I really like this program...i wish this was around twenty years ago....however, I find the speaking exercises frustrating...more often than not it fails me. So, i have founf that if i check my pronunciation with a different online translator, that it recognizes what im saying...Duolingo needs to fix this.


Is this glasses you wear or glasses you drink from or both?


I think a speaker of Italian would probably say "gli occhiali" for "the eyeglasses".


It doesn't accept "my glasses of color", isn't this better in AmE, the word colored i though wasn't advised...?


"Colored" is not advised in American English when you're talking about people. It was the polite term for black people in the mid-20th century, and the NAACP is still the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (it's been culturally grandfathered), but in casual, polite conversation now we say "black people" if we mean people whose recent ancestors came from Africa, and "people of color" if we mean everyone who's not white.

If you're talking about glasses, though, or anything else inanimate, you're fine with "colored."


my coloured glasses is rejected


why don´t duo accept "my colorful glasses"?

Learn Italian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.