A bit of Dutch culture (music, movies and a holiday)
1) There's a holiday called "Sinterklaas". It's about a guy like Santa Clause. In fact, it's said that Santa Clause is based on Sinterklaas. Both dress in red, have a long white beard and bring presents. But they have different hats, the helpers of Sinterklaas are "Zwarte Pieten" (Black Peters) instead of Elves, and instead of being pulled by reindeer he rides on a horse. He comes on the 5th or 6th of December, depending on the region. So if you see a shoe with a carrot in it standing by a fireplace, that's for his horse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas
2) A famous song: André van Duin - Er staat een paard in de gang (There's a horse standing in the hallway). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozVntId3c4 The lyrics are relatively simple and if you start singing this while walking slowly, a conga line will form behind you.
3) If you're looking for something simple to watch, you might try "de smurfen" (the Smurfs). They're not a Dutch invention, but you can easily find them in Dutch on youtube (for example: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeR6gZ7LpF-DB-d0clvwY4w). You can also find them in English, in case you want translations (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeY4C8Sbx8B4bIyREPSvORQ).
4) If you want to know how much you'd understand of a regular show, you can watch "Flodder" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72k4CdRBaQ8). Lots of episodes on youtube.
5) A movie with English subtitles: Amsterdamned (about a monster in the canals in Amsterdam that kills people) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i929dvH0PAU=8=PLp7YJVDcBevInzHE73-9OeyUeTRDVh_bB
6) A few more songs: Marco Borsato - Dromen zijn bedrog (Dreams are scams.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIaVUl3lkbM
Guus Meeuwis - Het is een nacht (It's a night ...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ddL85RtB0
Gers Pardoel ft Sef - Bagagedrager (Rear rack of bicycle) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVbm55D_UN8
Heidevolk - Saksenland (Saxony) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4DFViM9KK8
7) A few more movies: Flodder 1 (comedy about chav/ghetto/white trash getting a house in the fanciest neighbourhood)(English subs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j60f0inJ0Oc=PLp7YJVDcBevInzHE73-9OeyUeTRDVh_bB
Flodder 3 (same family goes to America)(English subs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqbFzxjsUeA=2=PLp7YJVDcBevInzHE73-9OeyUeTRDVh_bB
De Lift (about a homicidal elevator)(English subs) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MyOxMJkyk0=7=PLp7YJVDcBevInzHE73-9OeyUeTRDVh_bB
Amsterdamned is not about a monster that kills people, it's about a serial killer.
I know, but I didn't want to give everything away. When the first victim is killed you don't know whether it's going to be a monster-movie or a serial killer-movie. I wanted the viewers to experience that.
I'd say it means "αβρός, ευγενικός" but I think you're just being modest... What's "fam" by the way?
'Fam' is just an endearing term in English, it's like saying 'buddy' or 'mate'.
Good to know. I thought it meant woman, as in the French "femme" (pronounced \fam).
BTW I read you're going to Amsterdam, so I added something for you, to prepare you a bit (see number 5 in the list).