https://www.duolingo.com/carpelanam

Latin for Duolingo: Occupation, Lesson 3

Salvete omnes! Welcome back to Latin for Duolingo. This totally unofficial series of Latin lessons has been going on for over a year now, as we wait for the noble classical language to make its way into the Duolingo incubator. If you would like to catch up with previous lessons, you can find a directory of lessons, a classified vocabulary list, and Memrise courses at these links:

Today’s lesson is our third on the topic of occupations. Choosing vocabulary gets a bit complicated: here are some of the words that might be used to mean “boss/manager/supervisor/employer”= princeps, praeses, praepositus/a, procurator, curator, moderator/moderatrix, conductor. Some of these have specific associations: “princeps” was used by Augustus to mean “first citizen” but also was used for the nobles and chiefs of various tribes. “Praeses” is used in modern Latin to refer to the office of President of a country (or corporation). I prefer “princeps” for the executive, the “big boss” or elite level, and either “procurator” or “praepositus” for more typical business usage; i.e., the manager just a level or two above you. Also note that “officium” can mean a physical office, or the duty it symbolizes. Another tricky one is “doctor” which does not necessarily mean a medical doctor; it is a generic term for an educated person, one who has been taught and is capable of teaching at an advanced level, or could be used to mean a scientist or engineer as well. Of course we still use it in English in multiple senses. “Minister” meaning waiter can also be used in a more general sense, along with its synonyms “servus” and “famulus.” This is just a little of the flexibility that can enrich Latin vocabulary, and also make it very confusing.

New Vocabulary
minister, ministri (ministra, ae f.) = waiter, attendant, server
scientificus, i (homo scientiae) = scientist, man of science
aedificium, i = building
officium, i = office, service, duty
amanuensis, amanuensis (c.) = secretary, clerk
doctor, doctoris (m.) = teacher, learned man, scientist, one with an advanced degree
princeps, principis (m.) = chief, leading man, boss
procurator, procuratoris (m.)(praepositus, i) = manager, supervisor, boss
societas, societatis (f.) = company, (business) organization
vigil, vigilis, vigilium (m.) (+publicus) = policeman

New Sentences
Architectus aedificium facit. = The architect makes a building.
Principes illius oppidi Romanos non amant. = The chiefs of that town do not like the Romans.
Paula princeps magnae societatis est. = Paula is the executive of a large organization.
Vigil publicus est. = He is a policeman.
Vigiles publici caeruleum gerunt. = The police officers wear blue.
Vigiles publicos voco! = I am calling the police!
Lucia ministra in hac cauponā est. = Lucia is a waitress in this restaurant.
Marcus minister etiam est. = Marcus is also a waiter.
Officium nostrum in illo aedificio est. = Our office is in that building.
Gaius officium suum facit. = Gaius does his duty.
Procurator in officio non est. = The boss is not in the office/ on duty.
Amanuensis est. = He/she is a secretary.
Quattuor amanuenses in hoc officio laborant. = Four secretaries work in this office.
Doctor sum, sed non medicus. = I am a doctor, but not a medical doctor.
Scientificus et magister est. = He is a scientist and a teacher.
Scientifici (homines scientiae)(doctores) multos libros legunt. = The scientists read many books.
membrum ex officio = a member by virtue of one’s office
medicinae doctor (M.D.) = doctor of medicine
philosophiae doctor (Ph.D.) = doctor of philosophy
juris doctor (J.D.) = doctor of law

Next lesson: Objects 1

8/3/2016, 9:37:18 PM

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/-BellaLuna-

Thanks for posting this! I will definitely bookmark this. :D

8/3/2016, 9:45:31 PM

https://www.duolingo.com/zsocipuszmak

Thank you for the new lesson!

Just wanted to let you know that 'amanuensis' is missing from the vocab course on Memrise.

(Unfortunately Memrise closed down the old course forums, so I could not report it there. Do you plan to open a topic for the course in the new Community section? As far as I know, it's the only way learners can get in contact with the course creators now.)

8/4/2016, 10:41:18 AM

https://www.duolingo.com/carpelanam

Gratias! I have corrected that. I have been trying to figure out the new Memrise forums and will probably start a topic there once I have a little more confidence I understand them. It's a bit confusing!

8/4/2016, 4:55:06 PM
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.