https://www.duolingo.com/Mark958555

"New" words that appear in the review sections

I've mentioned this in a couple of posts, but it is probably more useful in this general forum.

The Hebrew course seems to be suffering greatly from the large number of native speakers who are contributing. Which is kind of paradoxical. I am very thankful to all the contributers, but because of the way Duolingo works, we have the following situation:

A complete Hebrew neophyte learns the word אנחנו for "we". He or she is able to recognize the word and advances in the course. Then he or she is suddenly presented with a multiple choice translation. But now the word we are expected to recognize as "we" is no longer אנחנו, but instead אנו. And this happens quite often. We learned one word for "ingredients", and I just had a multiple choice question that used two different ones that are not in the course, at least up to the point I have reached.

I think that what is happening is that people who are fluent or semi-fluent in Hebrew are suggesting alternatives and these are accepted because they are correct, but that doesn't magically give people learning the course access to these words. And that is frustrating for a new learner. If a review where I knew everything is taking 25-30 words because of stealth new vocabulary, it ceases to be fun.

Ultimately, I think we need a way for the course creators to mark an answer as acceptable, but never to be presented as a correct answer in the multiple choice questions. Or turn of the multiple choice questions for Hebrew altogether. (Though this would hurt the assimilation of the masculine/feminine/singular/plural forms, as this is the only place where we can be "forced" to learn them all.)

August 7, 2016

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/AniKelly69

I am not a native speaker but I have been studying for 6 years. I do understand what you are saying, because I have seen it as well. My suggestion would be that when you get an answer wrong, say because of אנו being offered as another acceptable answer, that you take that as a different opportunity for learning, not directly from the course vocabulary that is taught, but indirectly as you might encounter in something you read or listen to. It would be very difficult to teach all vocabulary directly, but in this way you are getting exposed to other forms that are important to learn. Once you know that another answer is also correct, tuck it away and use it next time. Plus it causes you to have to read VERY carefully! :D My intention is to encourage you, so good luck!!

August 25, 2016
Learn Hebrew in just 5 minutes a day. For free.