Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/just.so

Report a Problem

Duolingo is fantastic. I've been at it for over 100 days and am three quarters of my way through my French tree. And now I'm beginning to get frustrated. It's partly to do with getting things wrong I think should be right, but this is to be expected: as the complexity of sentences increases there are understandably increasingly more translations that slip through the cracks. And my annoyance is not with this but rather to do with the reporting feature. At the beginning I felt I did not have the necessary experience to know when to report a problem, even if I really thought my answer was correct. After all, I'm a beginner. But more recently, when absolutely convinced, I report. To date, in well over a month, I've had no feedback whatsoever. Is it true that you are informed if changes are made and ignored if you're incorrect? If so, I'm feeling thoroughly ignored and indignant about it. I adore duolingo, it is one of my three preferred language learning tools, but I'm starting to lose heart. In fact, I've just lost exactly three hearts on a lesson where native speaking commenters have agreed with my translations. Some of these have been previously reported but not corrected. I've re-reported them but am not holding my breathe. I still want to love duolingo... my discussion point is: is there any value to a "report a problem" button that appears largely to be ignored? If it is not being ignored, why not give us some feedback? An open list of recently added translations would be fantastic. Even if not mine, I can see which issues are being addressed. Better yet, give a list of all accepted translations for a given sentence. Ok, I understand that this has probably been discussed and discarded as having the potential to open any number of vermiculate cans. My feeling: 1) If you want to have a community-driven platform then make it more open by allowing users to actually add translations. 2) If you want to keep the control then remove the gosh-darn button so as not to give the false sense of actually being able to make a difference.

And if the reason that corrections to the English-French tree are being currently ignored is simply because duolingo is frying bigger fish over the website redesign, then ignore this and get back to my error reports when you have the time again.

All the best from the bottom of my most recently lost heart,
Your still avid fan,
Justin

4 years ago

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/FrankySka
FrankySka
Mod

It sometimes takes a few weeks to get feedback. I think more so recently.

This could just be a temporary things if the team is working on other stuff, but it could also be that they get TONS of more reports currently because DL is growing so quickly. If it is the later, I am sure they are already working on a method to improve on this (they constantly improve things behind the scenes). One possibility would be that they get more moderators in to help look through the suggested corrections.

Another thing to bear in mind though: you mentioned that translations are missing because sentences are more complex and therefore there are more possible translations. That is one reason. The other reason is that not many people get as far down the tree as you might have. Therefore less people have seen the sentences and hence people have not reported errors. So it is important that you keep on reporting those errors even if you don't get immediate feedback.

I realize this can be frustrating especially if you lose hearts. (if you do fail a lesson because of missing translations you can just complete a quick round of time practice. Often the sentences are the same as in the just failed lesson, so it is not quite as much work and you'd still get some points.)

4 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/just.so

First off: WOW! It's an honour to receive replies from duolingers who've been around so impressively long. :) Thanks @FrankySka, @ceaer and @mrben83.

@FrankySka, you make a good point about the position in the tree. But that's even more reason to give users more credibility when suggesting corrections. The further you get, the more serious you are about learning the language and the more reliable you're likely to be. But I'll keep reporting when I really think something is in error. This speaks to the other issue with the report feature which I didn't elaborate on in my original post: most of the time, who am I to report an error anyway? Many times I see native language speakers encouraging us to report errors, but quite honestly, I don't know for sure that something should've been reported until a long time after the opportunity has passed. I don't want to add to the list of bogus reports. (Perhaps this is why I feel so ignored, I've waited until I'm really sure something is wrong before reporting it.) Another option would be to publish the list of error reports to get voted on. That would drive the most pressing ones to the top of the list and the community (led by the super helpful and much appreciated native speakers) could knock off the bogus ones without duolingo ever having to worry about them. We'd get feedback much quicker and discussions on why such reports are incorrect would, in addition, be thoroughly informative. I'm secretly hoping that duolingo has come up with this idea independently. :D

And of course, I wish it wasn't about the hearts and the points, but gang-dang-it, that's something duolingo does so well and possibly part of the reason I'm still here, every day, cheating-on-an-easy-lesson-when-I-have-to! :P

4 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Usagiboy7
Usagiboy7
Mod

Yup, I've been here 140 days and I've gotten 1 reply that my translation has been accepted. But, that sounds right to me. I would imagine that several other people must have reported it before I did. ^_^ And of course, with more than 8.5 million users and only 30 staff to do everything, lag is inevitable.

4 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ceaer
ceaer

There aren't a lot of contributors per course, so it can take a while for them to get to things. I sometimes find I'll get no "you suggested xyz as a translation for zyx. We now accept this translation" e-mails for weeks, and then I'll get half a dozen or more in one day.

It's likely not so much that you're being ignored, but that there's a backlog of reports to process. Sometimes you have to make note of what answer Duo accepts and use that and only that until you pass the lesson.

(On an unrelated note - if you break your post up into paragraphs it would be a lot easier to read).

4 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/mrben83
mrben83

Last time I put a correction in it took about a month I believe, but it did get changed, hopefully this is the reason. Unless maybe the corrections you sent in aren´t correct in some way, I don´t believe you get replies to those ones...

4 years ago