Deutsche Musik Ist Gut
Anybody here know any good German music? I've been listening to some, and I find it really assists the learning of the language. Try these:
'Millionär' by Die Prinzen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI7tjOMg-ss
'Schattenläufer' by Rabenschrey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E72FirGnSP0=kp
'Europahymne' by Beethoven!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bylj_hZPv-8
'Millionär' is very amusing, pretty much just about someone who wants a lot of money. 'Schattenläufer' (which actually means 'Shadow-walker!) is, as far as I can tell, about a criminal on the run. 'Europahymne' is 'Ode To Joy' with words, and is officially the European international anthem! If you know anything else (clean, bitte!), please share.
One of my favourite bands happens to sing in German - they are called Schandmaul, and they play a blend of folk and rock. Three links showing different aspects of their music! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T74iaWw2B9k - The chorus of this tune has a very easy hook for anyone who's done the early part of the Duolingo German tree :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYT4wTyUts - I love the lyrics of this song. Rather than look up translations, try your hand at translating yourself - word by word if you have to; I've found it helps a ton :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOSmRA3UO4E - one more for luck!
“Good” music is so subjective that I’m not sure that anyone can help out here. Some of the bands that I like to listen to are:
- Die Toten Hosen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKXUNRrYQd0 (Zehn kleine Jägermeister) or, more recently, “Tage wie Diese“
- Die Ärzte - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auL1DPDp1e0 (Langweilig) or “ohne dich“
- Die Broilers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIDa2tBIy8I (Wie weit wir gehen) or pretty much anything off of Santa Muerte
- Ohrbooten - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmkXa8F9FfU An alle Ladies (for the Berlin accent!)
- Christina Stürmer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD32WUhdNIU Millionen Lichter (Austrian and a bit too pop for my tastes though I liked her earlier works)
- Revolverheld - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCcJuN47UcY Halt dich an mir fest
I’m sure others will mention Rammstein and many others.
If you're up for some awesome classical -- with which I am obsessed -- try Schubert's "Erlkönig" lied. When you listen to it, it's fun to follow along with the German lyrics on another tab. Schubert was awesome. Did you know there's a whole classical genre of German-language Romantic-era songs (Lieder) by almost all those Romantic German greats? I get sucked into music-marathons on Youtube way too much! But I love "Erlkönig" -- beautiful piece, and of course, it has great vocabulary! :)
Here is a classic. You can learn a lot of conditional in the beginning.
Brecht/Weill - Surabaya Johnny
nice lyrics by Annette Louisanne
Deichkind - leider geil
Laserkraft 3D- Nein Mann
Fettes Brot - Emanuela
Die fantastischen Vier: http://www.diefantastischenvier.de/