1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Hebrew
  4. >
  5. "החזיר מדבר אליהם."

"החזיר מדבר אליהם."

Translation:The pig is talking to them.

September 2, 2016

29 Comments


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/RachelDjazmin

Are other people having trouble differentiating הם and הן in the listening ones?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/amyleebell

Yep. I got this one wrong. I have trouble telling the difference when there's no associated verb.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/TeribleT

When I use a smart device without Bluetooth speaker or headphones yes, but when I am using an external audio source I can hear it fine. It makes a huge difference. 31 Dec 2018


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Mosalf

It's very difficult to me. It is worse to distinguish להם from לכם


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/IgorKupriy

They'd better stop drinking!


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Larry824711

הרבה יותר מדי יין!


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Carlahna1

Looks like somebody took their crazy pills this morning...


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/zion11dotcom

somebody obviously doesn't need them

"who?" you ask with a slightly deranged look

i hesitate, instantly regretting it "uhhh... them, some people who used to write comments around 2017, never mind"


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/TaraPride

I agree, "Charlotte's Web" comes immediately to mind. Hasn't it been translated into many languages, including Hebrew?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/HTIKVA

this must be the first kosher talking pig


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Carissa789117

Technically long pork isn't kosher either.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Mosalf

האם טראמפ החזיר ?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/IngeborgHa14

How do you know whether the pig talks אֲלֵיהֶם to them [ale(y)hem] or עֲלֵיהֶם about them [ale(y)hem]?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/JordanGrim3

I have the same problem too. Sometimes if I wonder if I'm just not used to distinguishing the vowel sounds? But other times I wonder if it is all the same.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Theresa754142

Are א with a khataf patakh and ע with a khataf patakh pronounced the same? If not, how are they pronounced differently? If you want to know if the pig is talking about them or to them, why can’t you just look if there is an א or a ע?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/YardenNB

They are pronounced the same by at least 99.9% of native speakers (for the other 0.1% or less, I'm sure youtube has some examples).


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/RuthZ1..

If the ע is pronounced correctly there should not be a problem telling the difference. I'm sure you said somewhere that you are studying Biblical Hebrew, Ingeborg. So you know the traditional phonetic transcription of these sounds. In real life, not many people are going to talk to pigs, unless it's a pet with a name. If the meaning is not clear from the context, even a modern Hebrew speaker will be able to emphasise the correct sound. It's just like the indefinite article in English, normally pronounced as a shewa, but if it's important to emhasise the indefiniteness of something, then you will say "a" like the letter of the alphabet.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/YardenNB

If Avshalom Kor says this sentence, you don't know. If any other Israeli says it, including the DL speaker, אליהם is pronounced /eleyhem/.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/BodoEggert

It's a reference to the Romans


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/AniOhevYayin

That's very clever, so have a lingot. For those who want to know more about this, here's a link: https://www.thetorah.com/article/why-rome-is-likened-to-a-boar


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Mabel544786

I belive the English animal sound is oink, oink, but I am not good enough in the English language so I have to interpret his body-language if I want to understand what he is trying to say to me....I guess there aren't many pigs in Israel, but does it exist a hebrew word for the sounds the pigs express?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/IngeborgHa14

Well, חֲזִירִים נוֹחֲרִים אוֹינְקְ אוֹינְקְ, so no big difference. Norwegian swines make nøf nøf, Dutch ones knor knor, German ones grunz grunz and Polish pigs chrum chrum*, so there is enough room for different onomatopoetic words. Here is a nice list for other animals in Hebrew.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/AniOhevYayin

החזיר מזכיר להם שהוא לא כשר


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Carissa789117

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/IngeborgHa14

כׇּל הַחַיּוֹת שָׁווֹת אַךְ יֵשׁ חַיּוֹת שָׁווֹת יוֹתֵר מֵהָאֲחֵרִים

Learn Hebrew in just 5 minutes a day. For free.