Tree stays golden
It sounds great and all but my aim is to do at least 50XP per day and only one or two subjects are coming up to practise each day.
I know that I can still practise with the "strengthen skills" option but it keeps coming up with the same phrases, usually about spiders!!
I'm also aware that I could just repeat the lessons, but I had always imagined it would get progressively harder and I'm only on Level 17 (German).
Any suggestions? I'm thinking of subscribing to Babbel as moving to Germany isn't an option at the moment.
If you use strengthen skills a lot, you'll be refreshing the words before the tree un-golds. In other words, don't worry about it, just keep hitting strengthen skills. That's what I did when I was learning Polish - nothing ever un-golded, and I got all the revision I needed.
Levels just correspond to point totals, not to difficulty. Don't use them (or the "fluency" rating) to gauge your progress.
Sometimes DL doesn't seem to realise what words do and DON'T need extra practice. Some options I can think of:
1) Do the reversed tree (learn English from German)
2) You're also learning Spanish I noticed --> learn Spanish from German or German from Spanish. It's certainly a lot more challenging.
3) Delete German and restart or use another account to restart learning German.
4) Use other resources (memrise, babbel ...)
5) Wait, hopefully DL will someday solve these issues. I've been waiting for a few months but it didn't help.
Small note on restarting the same tree: I've done this myself and I'm glad I did. For some reason a number of words kept their lowest strength even though the whole tree was golden again. It seems a restart worked better. I also noticed some skills had been removed and changed, this may have something to do with it. Only now I find that some words don't appear in the words list, e.g. libro(s), carta(s) and diario(s). I know the words I've practised them numerous times but they don't show up in the words list.