Any time you have a sentence of the type, "the _ is ...", the verb form must be third-person singular. So you need to know how to conjugate verbs in both English and in French. Start with être (to be) and avoir (to have).
- je suis = I am. j'ai = I have
- Tu es = you are. Tu as = you have ("tu" is singular, familiar form of "you")
- Il/Elle est = he/she is. Il/Elle a = he/she has
- Nous sommes = we are. Nous avons = We have.
- Vous êtes = you are. Vous avez = you are ("vous" may be either singular or plural "you")
- Ils/Elles sont = they are. Ils/Elles ont = they have