https://www.duolingo.com/TseDanylo

Glossary Of Grammatical Terms [UK. GRAMMAR PORTAL]

TseDanylo

Вітаю!

Ukrainian is an East Slavic language spoken primarily in Western and Central Ukraine by 40 million people making it the third most spoken Slavic language by number of native speakers in the world!

Glossary Of Grammatical Terms/Глосарій Граматичної Термінологій

Here is a list of terms you may come across the while browsing the portal. All words are in alphabetical order and please comment if you are unsure of a words meaning and I will add it to the list. Note that the simplified definition is in bold. In examples, the word being defined if shown in italics.

A

• Accusative (Case) - The case used for the direct object of transitive verb. The receiver of or the noun directly affected by the action
  • Adjective - A word used to describe a noun. A describing word. Example; The man vs The big man
  • Adverbs - A word that describes a verb or action. A word that describes how an action is done". Example; He moved quickly
  • Animate (Noun) - A noun that represents a living person or thing. A word that is a living person or thing. Example; A man, a cat, a girl, a fish
  • Article - A determiner that, in English, describes definiteness or indefiniteness. These words don't exist in Ukrainian. The words the, a and an. Example; The man is eating an apple.

B

C

• Case - A grammatical feature used to show a noun or adjectives purpose in a sentence. The way words change to show the use in a sentence. Example; I (NOM.) would like a dog (ACC.).

D

• Dative (Case) - The case used for the indirect object. The case for the word that isn't directly affected by the action or for to. Example; I give the dog to the man.
  • Direct Object - The object directly affected by the action. The word that is directly receiving the action. Example; I'll read you a book.

E

F

G

• Genitive (Case) - The case used for ownership. The "of" or "'s" case. Example; The cat's food/The center of Kyiv

H

I

• Inanimate (Noun) - A noun that represents a non-living thing or thought. A word that means a non-living thing. Example; Rock, ocean, chair, life
  • Indirect Object - The object indirectly affected by the action. The word that isn't directly receiving the action. Example; I'll read you a book.
  • Instrumental (Case) - The case used to express accompaniment, use or by means of. The "with" or "by" case. Example; I go to school by bus, with my sister.
  • Instransitive (Verb) - A verb that has no direct object. A verb where the object can't go into the Accusative. Example; I go home

J

K

L

• Locative (Case) - The case used to express location. The "in or "at" case.. Example; I am at school

M

N

• Nominative (Case) - The case used for the subject of a sentence. The case for the do-er of the action. Example; I like cats.
  • Noun - A word that is a person, animal, place or thing that isn't describing something or used as an action. A person, animal, place or thing. Example; The man, A cat, Kyiv, book

O

• Object - A noun that is the recipient of any action. Any word (NOT AN ACTION) that isn't doing the action/verb. Example; I go to school on the train with my brother.

P

• Predicate - Anything that isn't the subject in a sentence. Everything except the do-er of the action. Example; I have a dog
  • Preposition - A word that is used before nouns or pronouns to make it relate to another part of the sentence. A word that is used before other words to make it relate to another part of the sentence. Example; At school, on the table, with my sister
  • Pronoun - A group of commonly used words that are used mostly as subjects. Words like I, you, he, she, it etc.. You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream!

Q

R

S

• Subject - The person or thing that does the action or verb. The do-er of the action. Example; I eat an apple.

T

• Transitive (Verb) - A verb that has a direct object. A verb where the object is put into the Accusative. Example; I have a dog.

U

V

• Verb - A word that shows an action. A action word. Example; I am at my friend's house. We are playing* soccer.
  • Vocative (Case) - The case used for addressing a noun. The case used to address someone directly. Example; Victoria? Where are you?

W

X

Y

Z

More words will be added as the portal expands. Please comment any words you find and don't understand in the UK/EN course or on the portal below.

Introduction To Ukrainian Grammar

The Grammar Portal

The Language Portal

2 years ago

0 Comments

Learn Ukrainian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.