Translation:Look out! There is a whale under the water.
I thought the same !
Vietnamese is a kind of "compositional" language. They tend to use existing words when possible to form other words.
It makes for some obvious yet funny combinations :
- máy bay : "flying machine" => airplane
- xe máy : "machine with wheels". Spend some time in a big city in Vietnam and you will see why the "default" machine with wheels is indeed the motorcycle, not the car or the bicycle.
- đường phố : "road/path/way" and "city" (thành phố) => street
There are often some logic there, like with "thất" which means "to lose something" :
- thất vọng : literally "losing hope (hy vọng)" => disappointed
- thất tình : losing love (tình yêu) => heartbroken, being dumped
I find this property of the language pretty neat ! It arguably makes it easier to learn :)