"Many children are running and playing in the parks among the trees."
Translation:A parkokban a fák között sok gyerek fut és játszik.
I wrote: "Sok gyerek fut és jatszik a fák között a parkokban", which was marked wrong and I don't understand why. Is it because "a parkokban" should be emphasized over "a fák között"? In general, I don't always "get" why Hungarian sentences place the emphasis where they do. Thanks.
Your sentence is perfect. There are just so many possibilities this sentence can be arranged that not every option is accepted yet. But we'll get there.
Where the Hungarian sentence places the emphasis is always a matter of what the new information is. What question does your sentence want to answer? The important part is in front of the verb, so your sentence is basically answering the question "Who (or 'how many children') is playing among the trees in the parks?"
Your sentence doesn't have a topic (that's usually whatever comes before the focus), so the location, "among the trees in the parks" is more of an afterthought here. You treat it as an already established context.
That's because sok is a number indicator. It already tells you that there are multiple objects doing something, so you continue with singular grammar:
- a gyerek fut - the child runs
- a gyerekek futnak - the children run
- két gyerek fut - two children run
- néhány gyerek fut - some children run
- sok gyerek fut - many children run
- minden gyerek fut - all children run
(please note that the singular word is gyerek and the plural gets another -ek ending: gyerekek)
In "kicsi piros madarak énekelnek" there is no number indicator, so you have to use plural grammar to tell people that you're talking about multiple subjects. The one-bird version would be "(egy) kicsi piros madár énekel".
Baseline: the grammtical number of the subject always has to be the same as that of the verb. I.e. don't write "a gyerek futnak".
Numerals only influence the object that comes right after, like in English.
- Sok gyerek a parkban van. - Many children are in the park.
- Sok gyerek a parkokban van. - Many children are in the parks.
- Sok gyerek a sok parkban van. - Many children are in the many parks.
- Sok gyerek és kacsa itt van (a parkokban). - Many children and ducks are here (in the parks).