"I should not have asked!"
Translation:Ddylwn i ddim fod wedi gofyn!
Hi, I don't really understand the function of "fod" in this sentence. Can someone explain it to me please?
Firstly, there is an error in this particular sentence - I'll try and get it deleted shortly. It should read:
- Ddylwn i ddim bod wedi gofyn! - (...ddim bod... not *...ddim fod...)
The bod wedi is what we use to form a perfect tense with a verb form such as dylwn i...:
- Dylwn i ofyn - I should ask (remembering the soft mutation of gofyn -> ofyn here)
- Dylwn i fod wedi gofyn - I should have asked ( here, ...bod wedi gofyn mutates to ...fod wedi gofyn)
Moving on to the negative:
- Ddylwn i ddim gofyn - I should not ask (here it is dim which catches the mutation following ddylwn i...
- Ddylwn i ddim bod wedi gofyn - I should not have asked (again, dim... catches the mutation)