1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Duolingo
  4. >
  5. Japanese Lesson 53: Family pa…

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Demon-Kiyomi

Japanese Lesson 53: Family part 2

Welp. I've found myself with a little unexpected free time so let's go ahead and continue with another lesson, shall we?

VOCABULARY

Siblings: Kyoudai: きょうだい: 兄弟

Note: You'll notice that this is the same word as the word for "brothers" in our last lesson! On the one hand that's one less word to have to learn... but on the other it may make things slightly more confusing.

Husband: Otto: おっと: 夫

Wife: Okusan: おくさん: 奥さん

Husband & Wife (spouses): Fuufu: ふうふ: 夫婦

Uncle: Ojisan: おじさん: 叔父さん / 伯父さん   Note: Watch the Kanji on this one! 叔父 is "younger than one's parent" and 伯父 is "older than one's parent"! Both words sound the same so this difference really only matters in writing.

Another Note: Also! Watch your spelling... "Ojisan" is "uncle" but "Ojiisan" is "grandpa"!! That might sound a little intimidating when dealing with spoken Japanese but you'll get the hang of the sound of slightly elongated vowels like that. "Uncle" will sound more like "Oj'san" with the "i" barely enunciated and "Grandpa" will have a more noticeable "ee" sound. "Oh-jee-san"

Aunt: Obasan: おばさん: 叔母さん / 伯母さん
Note: Another one to watch your kanji on! Again 叔母 is "younger than one's parent" and 伯母 is "older than one's parent", and again, as they sound the same this difference only matters in writing.

Another Note: like "Ojisan" the difference between "aunt" and "Grandma" is one sylable. "Obasan" = Aunt.... but "Obaasan" is Grandma! This one will be a little bit harder to catch when spoken because an "a" sound isn't as easy to hop over as an "i" sound so listen carefully and pay attention to context!

Marriage: Kekkon: けっこん: 結婚
Note: The above is the NOUN version. To make it a verb you have to add "suru"

OTHER MISC INFORMATION

Other misc. information before we continue. "Ojisan" and "Obasan" are also used to refer to older non-relatives. As such, it's generally a term only used by children. But it's good to know if you're ever watching a shounen anime -coughnarutocough-

SENTENCES

We are Husband and Wife
Watashitachi wa fuufu desu.
わたしたち は ふうふ です。
私達は夫婦です。
(lit: we are spouses)

We are not siblings.
Watashitachi wa kyoudai dewa arimasen.
わたしたち は きょうだい では ありません。
私達は兄弟ではありません。

I eat with my aunt.
Watashi wa obasan to tabemasu.
わたし は おばさん と たべます。
私は伯母さんと食べます。

*NOTE: It's been a while since this piece of grammar was covered, so let's briefly go over it again. In these sentences you'll be using the particle "to", and this time "to" is acting like the word "with."
When using this kind of sentence the first person listed will have the topic marker "wa" after. And the second person listed with always be followed by "to".

BE CAREFUL! Unlike English you won't want to stick "with" between the two people you're talking about, because "to" will change it's meaning to "and"

Watashi to obasan = Me and aunt (this gives off the feeling of a list) Watashi wa obasan to... = Me and aunt (gives off the feeling of both "me" and "aunt" doing something together..... a verb is required)*

My uncle likes the color.
Watashi no ojisan wa sono iro ga suki desu.
わたし の おじさん は その いろ が すき です。 私の叔父さんはその色が好きです。
(lit: My uncle likes that color)

Note: as long as the context is clear you can leave off "watashi no"... in fact as long as the context is clear you can leave off most if not all pronouns.

He is my husband.
Kare wa watashi no otto desu.
かれ は わたし の おっと です。
彼は私の夫です。  

She is my wife.
Kanojo wa watashi no Okusan desu.
かのじょ は わたし の おくさん です。
彼女は私の奥さんです。

My wedding.
Watashi no kekkon
わたし の けっこん
私の結婚。

I was going to do a BONUS sentence from Full Metal Alchemist because I know of one spot where they use the word "wife" (and I managed to catch it, actually)... but unfortunately FMA: Brotherhood is no longer available through the usual means so I had to scrap that idea. ;A; Sorry everyone!! I looked hard for you!!

Next Lesson

Previous Lesson

First Lesson

Table of Contents

Free Resources

October 18, 2016

0 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.